Sarah C. Stoner
Sarah Stoner has a broad-based regulatory practice, with an emphasis on public utility law and gaming law. She has extensive experience assisting clients with license applications before regulatory bodies, contested enforcement matters, rulemaking proceedings, and regulatory review.
Within the firm’s Utilities Group, she works primarily on issues related to electric and natural gas services. She represents electric generation suppliers, natural gas supplier and distribution companies, gas and electric brokers, and telecommunications companies before various state utility commissions. On behalf of those clients, she has assisted them with licensing, regulatory compliance, administrative proceedings, policy advocacy and monitoring of pertinent issues.
Sarah has a wide range of experience serving casino and horse racing licensees, as well as other gaming industry entities. She practices regularly before the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board and the Pennsylvania State Horse Racing Commission, representing casino and racetrack owners and operators, gaming equipment manufacturers, and vendors.
- Provides regulatory monitoring and policy-oriented advocacy to a competitive trade organization pertaining to a variety of electricity issues before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
- Routinely represents a variety of electricity, gas, and telecommunications companies regarding utility regulatory and policy-oriented matters.
- Represents casinos, gaming manufacturers and vendors on various matters before regulatory agencies.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Bar Leadership Institute Class (BLI) for 2020-21
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Public Utility Law Section, Vice Chair
- William W. Lipsitt American Inn of Court, Former Member
- Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area, Former Board Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a 2021 & 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Energy Law
News and Insights
- “Pennsylvania PUC Issued Proposed Settlement Agreements with EGSs for Comment,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy Supplier Litigation Blog, June 1, 2021.
- “Maine PUC Rejects Substantial Proposed Settlement,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy Supplier Litigation Blog, January 27, 2021.
- “Pennsylvania To Evaluate the Viability of Utility Investment in Energy Storage,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy & Utilities Blog, January 11, 2021.
- “Does Your Business Record or Monitor Customer Phone Calls for Quality Control or Training Purposes? Why Consent is Key,” co-author, Eckert Seamans’ Utilities and Telecommunications Alert, April 2013.
- “Judicial Review of Arbitration Awards and Mediation Agreements: Tips for Sustaining Deference,” co-authored with Julia Rabich and Nancy Welsh, American Arbitration Association’s Dispute Resolution Journal, February/April 2012.
- “Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Program: From Seed to Sale and Beyond,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Legal Primer Virtual CLE (Part 3), December 7, 2021.
- “The Cannabis Industry in the Tri-State Area,” panelist, Widener Law Review Symposium, March 2019.
- “Separating the Weed from the Chaff” presenter, Dauphin County Bar Association, October 2018.
- “Supreme Court’s Recent Sports Betting Decision,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2018.
- “Wanna Play Fantasy Sports in PA? Not So Fast!” presented to members of the Dauphin County Bar Association, July 2016.
- “Overcoming Obstacles to Success,” panelist, Pennsylvania Bar Association Women in the Profession, November 2013.