Eckert Seamans’ Intellectual Property Group engages in the full spectrum of practice in this specialized area of the law, including United States and foreign patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition law. Many of our attorneys have years of in-house corporate experience.
We help clients with the negotiation, preparation, and enforcement of a wide variety of related agreements including license, assignment, consulting, employment, and nondisclosure and joint venture agreements. When appropriate, the group draws upon the skills and experience of attorneys across a variety of practices at Eckert Seamans, including tax, labor and employment, government affairs, and corporate finance, to develop an integrated strategy for the client’s circumstances.
On the patent side, our attorneys have experience in a broad spectrum of technical subjects, including chemical, electrical, mechanical, medical, pharmaceutical, biotechnological, computer, and metallurgical arts. On the trademark/copyright side, our attorneys provide general counsel and have substantial experience in financial services and insurance, advertising, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, franchising, retail, publishing, arts, sports, and entertainment law.
Members of the group practice in many forums, including state and federal courts throughout the country, the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the United States Copyright Office, foreign intellectual property offices through a well-established network of foreign associates, and the International Trade Commission.
In addition, the firm has a dedicated Intellectual Property Litigation Group.
- Negotiation, preparation, and enforcement of agreements including licenses, technology transfer, consulting, employment, nondisclosure and joint venture agreements, as well as academic intellectual property policies.
- Patentability evaluations.
- Patent validity and infringement studies.
- Preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications.
- Trademark and service mark portfolio management, as well as screening.
- E-commerce issues relating to social media, Internet brand protection strategies, online brand disputes, user generated content, online defamation and product disparagement disputes, search engine advertising, website linking, CAN-SPAM, copyright disputes and fair use, false advertising, website policies and privacy, licensing, domain name disputes, and the FTC guidelines on the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising.
- Preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign trademark and service mark applications.
- Trademark and service mark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Protection of copyright rights.
- Unfair competition matters, including advertising issues.
- The protection of trade secret rights, including employment issues.
- Enforcement of and defense against claims of infringement of intellectual property rights.
- Due diligence and evaluation of intellectual property assets in mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures.
- Intellectual property audits.
News & Insights
Barber Poles and Lapel Pins: A Trademark Perspective
Planning a 'March Madness' Promotion for Your Business? Beware the NCAA's Wrath
Is Apple V. Samsung The Beginning Of The End For Patents?
Protecting Your Valuable Brand: The Importance of Trademarks
Tips for Protecting Creative Works Following SCOTUS Copyright Ruling
A Double-Edged Sword: The Benefits and Risks of AI in Business
Split Federal Circuit Decision May Limit Nonliteral Copyright Infringement of Computer Software
Invention Prototypes Displayed at Industry Trade Shows May Preclude Patent Protection
Supreme Court’s Opinion in Booking.com Case Suggests Trademark Registration May be Available for Certain Generic.com Marks
Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Media
IP Update: New Guidance -- File Copyright Applications Routinely for Important Works
U.S. Supreme Court limits the places patent infringement lawsuits can be filed
Intellectual Property Alert: 2017’s Five Top Intellectual Property Issues
Intellectual Property Alert: An Insight Into the Patent Process
Intellectual Property Alert: Patents, trade secrets, and the role of the constitution
Intellectual Property Alert: The Role of the Patent
Intellectual Property Alert: Recent Decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit -- United States v. Caronia
Intellectual Property Alert: .xxx Sunrise Blocking Option for Mark Owners Not in the Adult Entertainment Industry
David Radack featured in WTOP radio segment
Richard Peirce quoted in segment on KYW-TV Philadelphia
Richard Peirce says feds won't be knocking on your door for sharing your Netflix or Hulu password (KYW Newsradio)
Is that legal? Richard Peirce discusses intellectual property concerns regarding streaming services and copyrighted material
Eckert Seamans welcomes Debora Plehn-Dujowich as a member in the firm’s Philadelphia office and Intellectual Property Group
Eckert Seamans welcomes Michael T. Regan as an associate in the firm’s Philadelphia office and IP Group
Eckert Seamans welcomes TaeRa Franklin to White Plains office and Business Division
Eckert Seamans Announces 2019 Attorney Promotions
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2019 recognizes 21 Eckert Seamans attorneys from Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh offices
Eckert Seamans welcomes Maya Cheriyan as an associate in the firm’s Pittsburgh office and Business Division
Best Law Firms 2019: U.S. News – Best Lawyers again ranks Eckert Seamans among the nation’s top law firms
Christina Frangiosa elected as Council Member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Intellectual Property Law
Eckert Seamans Attorneys and Practices Ranked by Chambers USA 2018
Eckert Seamans posts another win
Eckert Seamans Attorneys and Practices Ranked by Chambers USA 2017
Eckert Seamans announces attorney promotions for 2017
World Trademark Review 1000 recognizes Eckert Seamans' Intellectual Property Group
Eckert Seamans welcomes David B. Gornish to Philadelphia office
Best Law Firms 2017: U.S. News – Best Lawyers again ranks Eckert Seamans among the nation’s top law firms; Public Finance and Trademark Law practices receive National Tier 1 ranking
Eckert Seamans provides pro bono legal services for Laura Fitzpatrick Photo Collection, part of the Smithsonian's forthcoming Museum of African American History and Culture
Eckert Seamans welcomes IP attorney, author, and legal commentator Christina D. Frangiosa to Philadelphia office
Chambers USA 2016 ranks Eckert Seamans lawyers and practices
Eckert Seamans welcomes Kevin W. Fay and Roger LaLonde to Philadelphia office
Eckert Seamans welcomes Mark T. Vogelbacker to Philadelphia office
Christina Frangiosa to present CLE webinar on IP Protection and Limitations for Fictional Characters
Christina Frangiosa to speak at the PBI Annual IP Law Institute
Christina Frangiosa will serve as panelist at 7th Annual ABA-IPL Trademark Day with the USPTO
Ethical Issues in Trademark Practice
Christina Frangiosa to participate in the ABA's 32nd Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference