Technology & Licensing
The Technology and Licensing Group at Eckert Seamans brings a coordinated, multi-disciplinary team approach to technology and licensing services. Drawing upon the breadth of knowledge across our intellectual property, litigation, and business counseling practices, Eckert Seamans provides the full range of services required for securing ownership of intellectual property rights, as well as the protection and enforcement of those rights.
We assist a wide range of clients, including small and medium-sized businesses, Fortune 500 companies, state governments, universities, hospitals, and individuals. Eckert Seamans also serves clients with international business issues through SCG Legal, an international network of law firms providing “on the ground” services in all significant business jurisdictions worldwide.
In addition to litigation and intellectual property matters regarding the preparation and prosecution of patents, licensing, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and infringement counseling, our team regularly works with clients on matters relating to:
- The development, integration, and implementation of software, hardware, and complex technology-based systems
- Technology-based mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships
- Employment and nondisclosure agreements
- Electronic commerce
- Our practice group represents a major international retailer regarding review and drafting of technology licenses, cloud computing services agreements, and consulting and cybersecurity agreements in both the United States and Europe.
- We represent academic software companies regarding Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription agreements with educational institutions, cloud platform issues, and compliance with privacy, data protection, and other legal requirements.
- We represent a major supplier of packaging management software systems and have negotiated license agreements for this client with large manufacturing companies in the food and beverage industry.
- We represent a major regulated utility company in the negotiation and management of agreements with major software licensors and outsourcing service providers.
- We assisted a telecommunications company in expanding operations into various foreign countries, locating and working with local counsel in these jurisdictions, and complying with local regulatory requirements.