Michael J. O'Brien
Michael O’Brien focuses his practice on commercial litigation, business, nonprofit, and administrative law. Michael represents publicly traded companies, privately held corporations, nonprofit organizations, small businesses, municipalities, and individuals in complex litigation matters before Pennsylvania state and federal courts. His practice includes a broad assortment of civil litigation matters, including breaches of contract, non-compete agreements, civil fraud cases, product liability, personal injury, construction and environmental actions, and other civil disputes.
Michael currently works with the defense team in Pennsylvania that represents churches, schools, and youth organizations in the defense of lawsuits alleging institutional liability for acts of childhood sexual abuse. In addition to his litigation practice, Michael has extensive experience in representing and advising nonprofits in governance matters, and counsels for-profit and nonprofit organizations addressing corporate responsibility for alleged wrongdoing by employees and agents.
From 2016-2020, Michael was an adjunct professor in the School of Business and Global Innovation at Marywood University, where he taught Legal Environment of Business. In addition to his civilian practice, Michael served as an officer in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps from 2007-2017.
- Successfully defended on appeal an antitrust suit filed by two cable installation contractors against a national cable communications company and another contractor.
- Completed the successful defense of two professional defendants who were sued for violation of covenants not to compete contained in written agreements with prior employers.
- Successfully represented a municipal political candidate relative to a ballot challenge filed in relation to the 2019 election.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Lackawanna Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Legion
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps 2007-2017
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
Named a Fellow of The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, an honor awarded the Nation’s top practicing attorneys
Army Commendation Medal x2
Army Achievement Medal
News and Insights
- “COVID-19 Impacts on Contractual Rights and Responsibilities,” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Summer 2020.
- “Commercial Lease Restructuring in the Age of COVID-19,” August 20, 2020.
- “Philadelphia Courts Develop “Temporary Financial Monitor” Program to Help Local Businesses Hard Hit by the Pandemic,” Eckert Seamans' Legal Update June 24, 2020.
- “Tuition Reimbursement Lawsuits Threaten University Financial Stability,” Eckert Seamans' Legal Update May 28, 2020.
- “Business Interruption Insurance: Litigation and Legislative Update,” Eckert Seamans' Legal Update April 22, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Update: Business Interruption Insurance Litigation and Related Legislation,” March 23, 2020.
- “Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Force Majeure Clauses,” Legal Update March 4, 2020.