Jacqueline A. Welch
Jacqueline Welch has over 25 years of complex commercial litigation experience. She concentrates her practice in corporate litigation, corporate and government investigations, financial investment and securities, employment, cyber security and data protection, education, and matters involving professional negligence, insurance, intellectual property and real estate. Jacqueline has also served as counsel to business start-ups including formation, software development and contracts, stock purchase and transfer.
Over the course of her career, Jacqueline has tried more than 60 jury and bench trials. She served for over five years as an Assistant Attorney General for the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, prosecuting unfair and deceptive business practice cases, including in financial fraud, corporate, banking, advertising, real estate, and non-profit organizations. She is also part of the firm’s Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Autonomous Transportation Systems Group.
Previously, Jacqueline was a partner at a large Boston-based law firm, and she was also a senior litigation associate at a global law firm where she practiced for over a decade. Jacqueline also managed a legal consulting firm in Asia where she honed her client-centered perspective to the practice of law. Earlier in her career, she served as a Special Assistant District Attorney. Jacqueline clerked for the Hon. Gilbert S. Merritt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Lead counsel in defense of numerous high-stakes state, multi-state and federal investigations in areas such as advertising, marketing, billing, labor, healthcare, COVID-19, anti-kickback, alleged overpayment and others; prepare and defend officer and employee witnesses; lead large-scale production of documents, data; negotiate favorable out of court resolutions; and, secure positive judicial outcomes for clients.
- Lead counsel in corporate investigations and reviews conducted during significant governmental, financial, political, and public scrutiny. Internal audits include knowledge of organization, operations and manufacturing processes; and, interviews of officers and employees. When needed, retention and work with world renown experts in the top echelons of their fields.
- Complex business, employment, financial and securities, cyber security and protection litigation. Litigation and advisory representation regarding confidentiality, non-compete, non-solicitation and other employment and protection agreements.
- Trial counsel defending alleged violations of Wage Act and employment discrimination claims in jury trial, resulting in favorable defense verdict.
- Trial counsel defending multi-million-dollar liability claims against real estate-related entities in two-week jury trial involving highly technical engineering, corporate and property law issues.
- Trial counsel defending highly specialized physician in jury trial resulting in complete defense verdict.
- Lead trial counsel for real estate entity in consolidated trial involving commercial real estate development project in Boston, resulting in favorable client outcome.
- Lead trial counsel in U.S. Bankruptcy Court case involving fraud allegations, resulting in favorable lengthy written decision and denial of debtor’s bankruptcy discharge.
- Defended entities who were victims of cyber security and hacking incidents, including insurance coverage issues.
- Successfully defended financial advisor and financial investment firm against claims in connection with sales of annuities.
- Successfully defended accounting malpractice claims brought against firm involving tax treatment of real estate investment development LLCs.
- Defended negligent tax law advice claims brought by Foundation.
- Successfully defended numerous attorneys and law firms in professional negligence cases in legal areas such as real estate, business, tax, corporate formation, and others.
- Negotiated and structured eight-figure settlement involving numerous national banks in alleged predatory lending scheme.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Public Law Section Council, Vice Chair (2023 – 2025)
- Amicus Curiae Committee Liaison
- Women’s Bar Association
- Women in the Courtroom Committee
- Senior Practice Group Committee
- Board of Visitors, Georgetown University Law Center (2023-2025)
- Town of Winchester, MA
- Select Board (elected) (2018 – 2021)
- Planning Board (elected) (2014- 2018)
- Personal Board (1998-2005)
- Town Meeting Member (elected) (2014 to present)
- Philips Academy Parents Association
- President (2016-2018)
- Board of Directors (2012-2018)
News and Insights
- “Eckert Seamans Continues to Strengthen Commercial Litigation Practice with Arrival of Boston Member Jacqueline Welch,” April 2023.
- “The FTC’s Proposed Ban on Noncompete Provisions, and the Massachusetts Noncompetition Agreement Act,” presented to the Public Law Section Council, Massachusetts Bar Association, November 9, 2023.
- “Current Issues with the Massachusetts Public Records Law and Requests for Law Enforcement Data,” co-presented for the Massachusetts Bar Association, Public Law Section Council, September 2023.
Jackie enjoys playing golf, racquet sports and skiing with her husband and five adult kids who played college sports. She is also a hockey fan and roots for NHL and collegiate teams.