David V. Radack
Dave Radack represents clients in the full spectrum of intellectual property law, including patents; trademarks; copyrights; trade secrets; technology and trademark licensing; sports, arts, and entertainment law issues; computer law; and intellectual property litigation. He has extensive experience in trademark law practice in both the courts and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Dave’s trademark law clients include and have included a major regional supermarket, a leading lawn and garden tool manufacturer, a well-known food company, a national fast-food chain, and several college and professional sports teams.
- Represented a wide variety of clients including individuals, small and medium sized businesses, universities and colleges, and Fortune 500 companies.
- Worked closely with in-house general attorneys as well as in-house intellectual property specialists.
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2016 Patent Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected for inclusion in World Trademark Review magazine’s WTR 1000 (Pennsylvania)
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Trademark Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Patent Law and Trademark Law
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Penn State should not be permitted to trademark ‘Happy Valley’” Pittsburgh Tribune Review, March 15, 2019.
- “Penn State hits roadblock on ‘Happy Valley’ trademark request,” The Tribune-Democrat, March 15, 2019.
- “Do You Know How to Protect What’s Yours?” IPWatchdog.com, August 13, 2017.
- “The Lessons of March Madness: Companies would do well to pay careful attention to trademarks,” Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 15, 2017.
- “The Reason Advertisers Can’t Say ‘March Madness’ Goes Back 75 Years,” 103.5 WTOP-FM, March 6, 2017.
- “Be Careful How you Use March Madness, Final Four, and other NCAA Tournament Terms,” 90.5 WESA-FM, April 2014.
- “Protecting What is Yours,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2017.
- “Leveling the Playing Field Against Patent Trolls,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education (CLE), August 2014.
- “Understanding the America Invents Act: Sweeping Change of U.S. Patent Prosecution Practice,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ CLE, August 2012.
- “The America Invents Act – A Discussion on The Significant Changes to Intellectual Property Law,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans Teleseminar, September 28, 2011.
- “Co-Existence Agreements in the Context of U.S.P.T.O. Proceedings,” webinar, Co-Existence and License Agreements in Resolution of Trademark Disputes, ALI-ABA, March 2010; replay December 2010.
- “Patent Marking,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ CLE, August 2010.
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., Cornell Law School, Cornell University, 1983
B.S., with university honors, Carnegie Mellon University, 1980