William S. Myers
Bill Myers has been a labor and employment lawyer for three decades. He is both an advocate and a counselor, and he carries both sets of tools to work on every client matter.
Bill is experienced in the full range of federal law governing employment and labor relations, as well as the spectrum of similar state laws and the growing body of workplace regulation by cities. Bill has advised countless companies, large and small, and has represented them—as both defendant and plaintiff—in state and federal courts and trial and appellate courts throughout the country, and in mediation and arbitration in a variety of settings.
Bill also has extensive experience advising and representing clients on regulatory matters before the many federal, state, and local agencies that address labor and employment issues, with a special emphasis in workplace safety and health (OSHA) in both general industry and construction, and on wage and hour matters involving overtime compensation and exemptions.
- Defended employers in employee lawsuits for discrimination and harassment, overtime and other compensation, employee benefits, wrongful discharge, retaliation, and other employment law claims in individual actions, Rule 23 class actions, and Section 16(b) collective actions.
- Defended employers in lawsuits by former employees seeking to invalidate restrictive covenants and other contract terms prohibiting post-employment competition.
- Defended employers in lawsuits by other employers for hiring their former employees, including tortious interference, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and related claims.
- Pursued claims for employers against former employees and their new employers for breach of restrictive covenants and other contract provisions, tortious interference, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of duty of loyalty, unfair competition, and related claims.
- Advised employers on federal and state laws affecting wages, hours and overtime pay, employee safety and health, individual employment decisions and reductions in force, employee handbooks and policy manuals, and individual employment contracts.
- Assisted employers in responding to investigations, inspections, and audits by federal, state, and local regulatory agencies under laws governing wages, hours, and overtime pay, discrimination and harassment, retaliation and whistleblower claims, and affirmative action.
- Represented employers in occupational safety and health inquiries, inspections, citations, and litigation involving OSHA, MSHA, and approved state agencies.
- Conducted internal client investigations involving claims of retaliation, harassment, and other misconduct, both at corporate offices and in remote facilities.
- Advised transaction lawyers on labor and employment aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate deals and documents.
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements for employers under Sections 8(f) and 9(a); filed and defended claims and charges under Sections 301 and 302; filed and defended unfair labor practice charges for employers and handled related investigations, hearings, and appeals; and worked on national, corporate, and single-site representation cases and election campaigns.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Guyasuta Area Football Association, Board of Directors
- Keystone Bantam Youth Football, Board Representative
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2023 and 2024 for Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Supreme Court Alters Decades of Religious Accommodation Law,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, June 30, 2023.
- “When OSHA Comes Knocking,” Breaking Ground Magazine, July/August 2023.
- “Long-term lease or public construction?” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Spring 2023.
- “OSHA Vaccine and Testing Rule: Back in Business — For Now,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, December 18, 2021.
- “OSHA COVID Vaccine and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard,” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Fall 2021 and Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, November 8, 2021.
- “OSHA and COVID-19: Another Emergency Temporary Standard,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, September 10, 2021.
- “OSHA and COVID-19: Nationwide Emergency Temporary Standard,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, June 14, 2021.
- “Revised FFCRA Regulations: DOL Says “Thanks, But No Thanks”,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, September 14, 2020.
- “OSHA and COVID-19,” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Summer 2020.
- “FFCRA – Court Strikes Key Regulations on Federal Paid Leave,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, August 10, 2020.
- “Virginia COVID-19 Workplace Standard—First in the Nation,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, July 21, 2020.
- “OSHA and COVID-19: Returning to a Safe Workplace,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, June 1, 2020.
- “DOL Paid Leave Regulations — Top Ten Takeaways,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update, April 3, 2020.
- “Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Alert, March 21, 2020.
- “Emergency FMLA Expansion Act,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Alert, March 21, 2020.
- “Pittsburgh Paid Sick Days Act,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Alert, February 28, 2020.
- “Are they or aren’t they? Noel Canning and the status of the NLRB,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, Spring 2013.
- “Virginia mandates COVID-19 workplace precautions,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, July 2020.
- “News You Can Use: A review of recent judicial, legislative, and regulatory developments of significance to employers,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, April 26, 2023.
- “Legal Consequences of Excavation and Trenching Accidents,” Marcellus Shale Coalition Excavation and Trench Safety Training program, February 2021.
- “It’s November, But These Leaves Are Not Falling,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Human Resource Forum, November 2019.
- “OSHA Inspections: A Stitch in Time Saves Nine,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
- “OSHA Investigation: How to prepare for and handle an OSHA inspection,” presented at Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, April 2019.
- “FLSA White Collar Exemptions: Where They’ve Been, Where They’re Going,” Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, May 2014.