Trevin C. Schmidt
Trevin Schmidt focuses his practice on complex civil ligation matters spanning business, commercial, insurance coverage, and employment disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, administrative proceedings, and at arbitration and mediation. Trevin also advises clients on employment issues to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations, as well as changes in laws that impact employers and their workforce. Trevin routinely appears in both state and federal courts in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maine.
Business and Commercial Litigation. Trevin handles all phases of litigation, including complex motion practice, discovery, depositions, and trial in a broad range of business and commercial disputes involving fraud, trade secrets, fiduciary duty, unfair competition, unfair and deceptive trade practices, violations of consumer protection statutes, patent infringement and intellectual property.
Employment Litigation and Advice. Trevin defends and advises businesses and individuals concerning employment contracts, wage and hour compliance, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, compliance with FMLA/FLSA and state-specific statutes, such as Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave, among others. Trevin routinely reviews, drafts and updates employee handbooks, employment agreements, and separation agreements. Trevin also conducts discrimination and workplace investigations, as well as presents training sessions to employers to assist in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws, as well as reducing or preventing employment-related claims. Trevin has defended numerous litigations against employers involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, wage and hour violations, and misclassification of employees.
Consumer Financial Services. Trevin has considerable experience representing lenders, mortgage loan servicers, and financial institutions in consumer financial services litigation in the trial and appellate courts. Trevin has handled a multitude of disputes involving loan servicing, contested foreclosures and eviction, mortgage lending, municipal liens, condominium, tax and other priority liens, as well as title matters, among others.
Product Liability. Trevin represents manufacturers of consumer products, automobiles, and motorcycles in the defense of warranty and tort claims. Trevin has handled a broad range of responsibilities within these disciplines, including overseeing pre-suit investigations, product and/or automotive/motorcycle inspections, as well as handling all aspects of the litigation itself, including complex discovery and depositions.
Prior Experience. Prior to joining Eckert Seamans, Trevin gained valuable experience as a litigation paralegal at a Boston firm specializing in product liability and catastrophic injury matters, preparing for and attending trials in state and federal courts throughout New England. Prior to his hire as an associate attorney at Eckert Seamans, Trevin was a commercial litigation paralegal at Eckert Seamans, while simultaneously attending law school as an evening student.
- Successfully defended arbitration award on behalf of biotechnology company before the Connecticut trial court, Connecticut Appellate Court, and Supreme Court of Connecticut.
- Successfully appealed judgment of Massachusetts trial court before the Massachusetts Court of Appeals in matter involving allegedly unpaid commissions and complex commission plans.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against automotive manufacturer alleging engine failure and resulting damages.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud claims against company CEO in their individual capacity and dismissal of shareholder derivative claims against the company.
- Successfully defended mortgage lenders in condominium foreclosure actions to preserve property interest.
- Successfully defended biotechnology company against allegations of social media copyright infringement.
- Represented company in complex, federal wage and hour class action involving claims of unpaid overtime.
- Represented global facilities management company to prosecute claims of trade secret misappropriation, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and intentional interference with contractual and advantageous business relations.
- Represented national moving and storage company in suit brought for alleged misclassification of employees.
- Represented global manufacturer in defending against discrimination claims brought by former employer at the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities.
- Represented gene therapy company to both prosecute and defend claims of theft of trade secrets and unfair competition.
- Represented multiple restaurant chains in defense of premises liability claims.
- Represents mall owner in forcible entry and detainer actions and breach of lease actions.
- Represents primary and excess insurance carriers to advise on coverage issues related to claims or occurrences involving insureds.
- Federal Bar Association – Massachusetts Chapter – Board Member
- Editor of the Federal Bar Association (Massachusetts Chapter) Newsletter
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Boston Bar Association
News and Insights
- “Massachusetts Paid Family Medical Leave Law: An Overview,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Legal Update, June 3, 2019.
- “Workers See OT Claims Against Pa. State Contractor Tossed,” Law360, January 2020.
- “Between The Lines: A Brief on the Unwritten Rules of Practicing Law,” panel presenter, New England Law, April 2021.
- “Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Act,” Eckert Seamans Zoom webinar, November 18, 2020. Program recording and PFML Starter Kit and Resources.
- “Planning Your Return: how to navigate a safe and healthy re-opening – Session 2: Commercial & Industrial Workplaces,” Zoom webinar co-presented with Mascon Medical, June 25, 2020.
- “Planning Your Return: how to navigate a safe and healthy re-opening – Session 1: Education,” Zoom webinar co-presented with Mascon Medical, June 18, 2020.
- “The New Abnormal: Bringing Employees Back to Work and What to Consider,” co-presented with Walter Foster of Eckert Seamans and Lauren Brenner of Amplified Insurance Partners, Zoom webinar, May 21, 2020.
- “Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Law (PFML) Webinar,” Eckert Seamans’ Zoom webinar, June 25, 2019.