Philip E. Levy
Chair, Intellectual Property
Board of Directors
Phil Levy helps clients protect their valuable intellectual property assets by preparing and prosecuting patent, trademark, and copyright applications, both domestically and abroad. Phil also counsels clients with respect to intellectual property and technology-related disputes, infringement and right to use issues, and technology-related transactional and due diligence matters. Specifically, Phil has extensive experience in patent infringement litigation and has represented clients in the federal courts of multiple jurisdictions, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He also has extensive experience in Inter-Partes Review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO.
Phil has more than 20 years of experience assisting clients in a wide variety of technologies, including semiconductor integrated circuits, such as DRAM and flash memory devices; electron microscopy and X-ray spectroscopy systems; RFID systems; power generation and distribution systems; electrical circuit protection systems; medical devices, including respiratory therapy devices and systems and MRI systems; handheld electronic devices; mail and/or document handling and processing systems; cryptography; and computer hardware, networking, and software technologies.
- Counsel for patent owner in multiple cases against major memory device manufacturer relating to circuitry and control methods for controlling and managing NAND Flash memory and DRAM devices.
- Counsel for patent owner in multiple cases against major semiconductor device manufacturer relating to semiconductor fabrication and semiconductor packaging technology.
- Assisted patent owner in successfully defending challenge to validity of semiconductor patents during USPTO Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Assisted a company specializing in electron microscopy technology in obtaining broad international patent protection for a cutting-edge electron detector technology.
- Helped a large regional retailer obtain a very favorable settlement in a patent infringement dispute involving a key product marketing system.
- Provided product clearance counseling, including product design advice to avoid competitor IP, to a consumer products supplier in connection with the launch of a new flagship product.
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
News and Insights
- “Understanding the America Invents Act: Sweeping Change of U.S. Patent Prosecution Practice,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2012.
- “The America Invents Act – A Discussion on The Significant Changes to Intellectual Property Law,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Teleseminar, September 28, 2011.