Morgan R. McCord
Morgan McCord focuses his practice on banking, financial services, consumer and commercial collections, and bankruptcy litigation. He represents banks, loan servicers, and other financial institutions through all phases of litigation involving diverse claims. These claims typically involve lender liability, title issues, contested foreclosures, stolen and forged negotiable instruments, fraudulent or unauthorized account transactions, electronic transactions, identity theft, cashier’s checks, and other retail and wholesale banking transactions. Morgan also represents financial services institutions in defending matters arising under the full range of laws and statutes regulating the consumer finance industry, such as the Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
In addition to his banking experience, Morgan counsels regional companies, acting as outside general counsel to several prominent New York accounting firms and local businesses on a variety of issues, including regulatory compliance, employment disputes, contractual disputes, and privacy issues.
- In a landmark decision, reported on the front page of the New York Law Journal, secured an affirmance from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit of a decision by the U.S. District Court for Southern District of New York dismissing all claims against a prominent national bank arising under 42 U.S.C. 1983 and New York’s Exempt Income Protection Act.
- In a decision by the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, featured in the New Jersey Law Journal, obtained dismissal of all claims against a prominent national bank stemming from a counterfeit check fraud scheme ensnaring a law firm.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against a prominent national bank arising under the Expedited Funds Availability Act and Article 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- New York State Bar Association, Committee on Creditor’s Rights and Banking Litigation
- American Bar Association
- Borough of Cresskill, New Jersey – Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Stonegate at Cresskill Condominium Association, Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in New York Metro Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star”
- Selected for inclusion in US Business-News Magazine’s 2018 Business Elite Awards as “Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year – North East USA”
- Selected for inclusion in the “Legal Elite 0f 2017” as the “Financial Litigator of the Year 2017 – Greater New York” from North America News
- Selected for inclusion in the “Legal Elite of 2016” for Financial Services Litigation (Westchester, NY) by Corporate America Magazine.
News and Insights
- “New York High Court Shields Banks from Certain Direct Actions by Debtors,” Banking Law Industry Alert, January 2014.
- “Don’t Bank on It! Counterfeit Check Fraud 101,” CLE webinar presentation for Lawline, November 2018.
- “Compass – What do Regulators Really Want?” presented to employees of an international software provider to banks, commodities and security traders, December 2017.
- “Counterfeit Check Scams 101,” Journal of International Business, Hofstra University School of Law, May 2014.
Morgan is an avid boater and can be found most summer weekends with his family on the Long Island Sound.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
J.D., cum laude, Hofstra University School of Law, 2009; Senior Editor, Hofstra University School of Law Journal of International Business and Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Muhlenberg College, 2006; The National Scholars Honor Society; Kyle M. Larsson Memorial Scholarship Award in Business and Economics