Louis A. DePaul
Lou DePaul concentrates his practice on business litigation. His practice and experience covers a broad range of business litigation, including complex commercial litigation, products liability litigation, real estate litigation, intellectual property litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and employment disputes. Lou has litigated cases in state, federal, bankruptcy, and appellate courts in multiple jurisdictions and his experience extends to commercial arbitrations and mediation.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 company from claims for breach of contract in excess of $20 million; after three years of litigation, international corporate plaintiff dismissed the case with prejudice on the eve of trial.
- Was an integral part of a trial team that obtained an award in excess of $9 million after four weeks of hearings in a complex commercial arbitration on behalf of investors attempting to develop an emerging energy technology.
- Currently acts as national counsel for products liability and commercial litigation matters for a leading manufacturer of freight rail and passenger transit products.
- Defended an international seafood manufacturer in a nationwide class action concerning claims of alleged mislabeling.
- Regularly represents one of the nation’s largest residential builders in matters involving land use, development, zoning, and commercial litigation.
- Represented various online booking hotel agencies in statewide class action lawsuit concerning the payment of hotel occupancy taxes.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Young Lawyer Fellow of Allegheny Bar Foundation
- Lou has served as a mentor and teaching assistant for Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business
- Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association, Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion, on multiple occasions, in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Star
News and Insights
- “VoIP Services May Fall Beyond TCPA’s Scope” , Law360, March 2018.
- “Beware: Inspecting Goods May Waive Implied Warranty Protections,” co-authored for LJN’s Equipment Leasing Newsletter, May 2017.
- “Examining Pennsylvania’s doctrine of unconscionability,” co-authored for PA Business Quarterly, January 2017.
- “Pa. Courts Address ‘Unconscionability’ in Business Contracts,” co-authored for The Legal Intelligencer, July 2016.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2004
B.S., Highest Graduating Distinction, Carnegie Mellon University, 2001