Laura B. Kurtz
Laura Kurtz focuses her practice in the area of public and municipal finance. She regularly serves as bond and note counsel in financings involving Pennsylvania counties, cities, townships, boroughs, school districts, and municipal authorities. Laura also represents issuers, borrowers, underwriters, and financial institutions in various public and private financings.
Prior to joining the firm, Laura served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Thomas G. Saylor of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and worked as a certified legal intern in the Dauphin County District Attorney’s Office. Before law school, Laura served as a policy analyst for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Republican Caucus.
Laura received her Ph.D. in Public Administration from the School of Public Affairs at The Pennsylvania State University. Laura’s academic interests include public budgeting and financial management, and her doctoral dissertation examined local government responses to fiscal distress.
- Represents municipalities, school districts, and sewer and water authorities in issuing tax-exempt bonds and notes to finance and refinance capital projects.
- Advises and provides analysis on tax-exempt issues to municipal and nonprofit clients including public facilities, utility systems, and hospitals.
- Serves as counsel in connection with tax-exempt and taxable financings of industrial and commercial economic development projects.
- Knowledgeable in the issuance of general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, special revenue bonds, tax and revenue anticipation notes, and refunding bonds.
- Appointed by Governor Tom Wolf and confirmed by the Pennsylvania Senate to the Pennsylvania Economic Development Financing Authority Board
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Sylvan Heights Science Charter School, Board of Trustees
- Anne B. Anstine Excellence in Public Service Series, Graduate
- Ladies First in Finance
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Public Finance Law
- 2012 Frederic L. Ballard, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Recipient, National Association of Bond Lawyers
News and Insights
- “Time to Prepare for New Municipal Securities Disclosures,” Law360, September 2018.
- “Municipal Borrowing – Good Planning, Policies, and Professionals are the Keys to Managing Debt,” PA TownshipNews, August 2017.
- “Structuring the Deal,” webinar presentation to the Council of Development Finance Agencies, August 2021.
- “Recent Developments in Issuer Disclosures for Public Offerings,” co-presented at the Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers 34th Annual Meeting and Seminar, May 2021.
- “Reviewing the American Rescue Plan Act,” co-presented at the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs Virtual Seminar, May 2021.
- “State Law Issues” and “Conduit Issues and Issuers,” co-presented at the National Association of Bond Lawyers Essentials 2020 Virtual Conference, June 2020.
- “Managing Municipal Finances in Uncertain Times,” co-presented at the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs Virtual Seminar, May 2020.
- “Tax Increment Financing Legal & Practical Issues,” co-presented at the Pennsylvania Economic Development Association 2019 Fall Conference, October 2019.
- “Municipal Financing for Infrastructure,” co-presented at the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Commissioners Central Region Fall 2019 Meeting, September 2019.
- “County-Municipal Cooperation in Financing Capital Projects – PACE Legislation,” co-presented at the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania 2018 Annual Conference (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), August 2018.
- “Internal Revenue Code of 1986: Incurring Tax-Exempt Debt” Co-Presented at the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania Fall Conference, November, 2015.
- “The SEC Disclosure Rule, MCDC Initiative and Future Compliance” Co-Presented at the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association 73rd Annual Conference and Trade Show, August, 2015.