Jonathan W. Cox
Jon serves a broad range of clients in the public finance sector as bond counsel to school districts, counties, cities, boroughs, townships, municipal authorities, industrial development authorities, as well as nonprofit corporations, such as continuing care retirement communities, colleges, hospitals, fire companies, and other community and economic development organizations.
In addition, Jon serves as bank counsel to regional and community banks, documenting or reviewing commercial real estate, construction, equipment and working capital loans, as well as taxable and tax-exempt loans to governmental entities and nonprofits.
Since the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, Jon has dedicated himself to understanding the Qualified Opportunity Zone tax incentive and working closely with colleagues in the firm’s interdisciplinary Opportunity Zone Practice Group to assist individuals, partnerships, and economic development organizations in attracting, structuring, and establishing Qualified Opportunity Funds and Qualified Opportunity Zone Businesses.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Jon obtained a variety of academic, government, and business experience teaching geology, consulting with the U.S. Geological Survey, and then planning and engineering fiber optic networks for an international telecommunications company.
Jon is a native of Central Pennsylvania. He attended Dickinson College and later, the Dickinson School of Law, where he was a Dean’s Scholar. Jon and his wife, Karen, reside in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, along with their two teenage children.
- Served as special counsel and bond counsel to Franklin & Marshall College and the Lancaster Higher Education Authority in connection with the issuance of the $25 million College Revenue Bonds, Series A and B of 2018 (Franklin & Marshall College Project) for a new visual arts center for the College.
- Served as bond counsel to East Stroudsburg Area School District in connection with the issuance of the $70.1 million General Obligation Bonds, Series A and AA of 2017 for a refunding project of the School District.
- Served as tax increment financing counsel and bond counsel to the Cumberland County Industrial Development Authority in connection with the issuance of the $7.9 million Limited Guaranteed Tax Increment Revenue Note, Series of 2017 (Carlisle Auto Industries, Inc. Tax Increment Financing District) for the purpose of funding public infrastructure improvements within an a redevelopment area of the borough.
- Served as bond counsel and bank counsel in connection with the private placement with M&T Bank of the $14.2 million Revenue Note, Series of 2017 (SpiriTrust Lutheran – The Village at Luther Ridge Project) of The Franklin County Industrial Development Authority for the purpose of funding a new skilled nursing facility.
- Served as special counsel and bond counsel to Harrisburg Area Community College and the Lancaster Higher Education Authority in connection with the issuance of the $31.6 million College Revenue Bonds, Series and Series A of 2016 (Harrisburg Area Community College Project) for improvements to the College’s York Campus and for refunding prior debt.
- Served as bond counsel to the Waynesboro Borough Authority in connection with the private placement of the $8.77 million Sewer Revenue Note, Series of 2017 for refunding purposes.
- Served as bond counsel to Fulton County in connection with the issuance of the $6 million General Obligation Notes, Series A, B, and C of 2017 for a refunding project of the County.
- Served as bond and bank counsel in connection with the private placement of the $5 million Revenue Note, Series of 2016 (Franklin County Library System Project) for the purpose of funding improvements to a public library.
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Carlisle Family YMCA, Board Member and Finance Committee Chair
- Cumberland Area Economic Development Corporation, Board Member and Vice Chair
- Real Estate Collaborative, LLC, Management Committee Member and Secretary
- Friends of Michaux State Forest, Board Member
- Cumberland Youth Cycling Development, Board Member, Corporate Secretary, and Coach
- Murata Business Center Advisory, Board Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers, Board Member and Treasurer
Awards and Recognition:
- Carlisle Family YMCA 2018 Adult Service Award
- Central Penn Business Journal Forty Under 40
- Dickinson Law
- Dean’s Scholar
- Frank A. and Dorothy J. Sinon Scholarship for Excellence in the Study of Tax Law
- Irving Yaverbaum Accounting Prize
- Dickinson College, William Vernon Prize for Excellence in Geology
News and Insights
- “Local governments urged to team up to meet water mandates,” Gettysburg Times, September 2018.
- “Think Big Thoughts! It’s Not Too Late to Take Advantage of the Qualified Opportunity Zone Tax Incentive,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
Jon is an avid fly-fisherman, mountain biker, and gardener.