Jonathan W. Cox
Jon serves a broad range of clients in the public finance sector as bond counsel to school districts, counties, cities, boroughs, townships, municipal authorities, industrial development authorities, as well as nonprofit corporations, such as continuing care retirement communities, colleges, hospitals, fire companies, and other community and economic development organizations.
Jon has significant experience with the following public finance transactions and structures:
- general obligation financing for local government units;
- revenue and guaranteed revenue financings for sewer, water and stormwater projects, including financings through the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (Pennvest) and the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utilities Service;
- health and higher education revenue financing;
- infrastructure bank lending pools; and
- tax increment financing.
In addition, Jon serves as bank counsel to regional and community banks, documenting or reviewing commercial real estate, construction, equipment and working capital loans, as well as taxable and tax-exempt loans to governmental entities and nonprofits.
Jon also works closely with colleagues in the firm’s interdisciplinary Opportunity Zone Practice Group to assist individuals, partnerships, and economic development organizations in attracting, structuring, and establishing Qualified Opportunity Funds and Qualified Opportunity Zone Businesses.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Jon obtained a variety of academic, government, and business experience teaching geology, consulting with the U.S. Geological Survey, and then planning and engineering fiber optic networks for an international telecommunications company.
- Bond counsel to over thirty school districts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Bank counsel to multiple regional banks in connection with providing liquidity facilities to numerous colleges and universities.
- Bond counsel to the State Public School Building Authority in connection with the issuance of bonds for the benefit of Westmoreland Community College as well as the Community College of Allegheny County, and to the Lancaster Higher Education Authority for the benefit of the Harrisburg Area Community College.
- Bank counsel to a regional bank in connection with providing an approximately $80 million variable rate demand bond (VRDB) refunding and new money financing for a continuing care retirement community (CCRC).
- Bond counsel to numerous municipalities and their authorities for long-term financing of sewer and water projects through the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (Pennvest) and the United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service.
- Trustee’s counsel in connection with an approximately $180 million refunding and restructuring of a concession-based sewer and water revenue issue.
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers, Board Member and Treasurer
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Carlisle Family YMCA, Board Member and Finance Committee Chair (2012-2018)
- Cumberland Area Economic Development Corporation, Board Member and Vice Chair (2012-2018)
- Real Estate Collaborative, LLC, Management Committee Member and Secretary (2016 – Present)
- Friends of Michaux State Forest, Board Member and Vice Chair (2019 – Present)
- Cumberland Youth Cycling Development, Board Member, Corporate Secretary, and Coach (2016-Present)
- Murata Business Center Advisory, Board Member (2005-2012)
Awards and Recognition:
- Carlisle Family YMCA 2018 Adult Service Award
- Central Penn Business Journal Forty Under 40
- Dickinson Law
- Dean’s Scholar
- Frank A. and Dorothy J. Sinon Scholarship for Excellence in the Study of Tax Law
- Irving Yaverbaum Accounting Prize
- Dickinson College, William Vernon Prize for Excellence in Geology
News and Insights
- “Client Alert Fact Sheet: Federal Qualified Opportunity Zones,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 20, 2018.
- “Local governments urged to team up to meet water mandates,” Gettysburg Times, September 2018.
- “Summer School is in Session: What Pennsylvania School Districts Need to Know About ESSER Relief Funds,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, June 2021.
- “Reviewing the American Rescue Plan Act,” webinar for the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, March 2021.
- “Structuring the Deal,” webinar presentation to the Council of Development Finance Agencies, February 2021.
- “Think Big Thoughts! It’s Not Too Late to Take Advantage of the Qualified Opportunity Zone Tax Incentive,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
Jon is an avid fly-fisherman, mountain biker, and gardener.