Jenna P. Torres
Jenna Torres concentrates her practice in intellectual property, particularly the prosecution and litigation of trademarks in the US and internationally.
Jenna helps clients both large and small build and protect their trademark portfolios around the world, performing trademark clearance searches (including for pharmaceutical brand and generic names), advising on filing and maintaining applications as well as proper trademark use, drafting license agreements, coexistence agreements, and consents, overcoming USPTO refusals of all types, conducting IP diligence for merger and acquisition transactions and drafting and filing resulting assignment documents, conducting brand policing and diligence into potential infringement, litigating and defending oppositions and cancellations before the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and litigating and defending federal trademark and unfair competition infringement actions. Jenna also works with a trusted network of foreign attorneys to coordinate strategies in multiple jurisdictions and grow, manage, and protect clients’ interests abroad, including protection from bad faith filers and counterfeiting.
In addition, Jenna provides services in matters dealing with copyright, such as advice on filing copyright applications, fair use issues, publishing agreements and licensing, as well as litigating and defending copyright infringement actions in federal court. Jenna has also worked on domain name issues and UDRP complaints and trademark and copyright issues involving social media and ecommerce websites.
Jenna is active in the International Trademark Association, serving on the Emerging Issues committee, drafting articles for the INTA Bulletin, acting as moderator for local roundtables, and presenting table topics at the annual meeting.
Prior to joining private practice, Jenna served as a judicial fellow for The Honorable Marlene F. Lachman of the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania, Court of Common Pleas, Civil Division.
- Assists several pharmaceutical companies manage, grow, and protect their international portfolio of trademarks and domain names.
- Counsels goods manufacturers in protecting their trademark rights in Mexico and China from infringers and bad faith filers and coordinates oppositions, cancellations, and infringement litigation with foreign counsel.
- Represents an insurance company in an appeal to the Federal Circuit of a decision from the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Represents companies from numerous industries (financial, food and beverage, industrial, biotechnology, spa and hospitality, retail, technology) in oppositions before the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Represented an international employment recruiter in filing an action for trademark infringement and unfair competition in federal district court in order to protect its trademark and trade name and negotiate a settlement favorable to the client.
- International Trademark Association
- Copyright Committee (2022-2023 term)
- Emerging Issues Committee (2018-2021)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Philadelphia VIP, volunteer
- Achieve Now (formerly Philadelphia Reads), volunteer
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Intellectual Property Law Litigation, Intellectual Property
News and Insights
- “When Does International Trademark Use Become Infringement? Advising Clients on Questions of Territoriality of Trademark Rights and Fair Use,” published in the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Law Newsletter, February 2020.
- “Emerging Issues Committee Update: Cross-Border ‘Bleed Over’ in Advertising and Availability of Trademarks on the Internet—Questions of Use and Infringement,” co-author, INTA Bulletin, April 2019.
- “5 Ways China Can Improve Its Trademark Laws,” Lawyer Issue, October 2018.
- “Protecting IP Rights in the Food and Beverage Industry,” CLE for Strafford, April 13, 2021.
- “IP Rights in the Food and Beverage Industry: Risk Management Strategies and Techniques,” CLE webinar presentation for The Knowledge Group, June 4, 2020.
- “Coordinating Trademark Actions and Strategies in Multiple Jurisdictions,” moderator, 2018 International Trademark Association Annual Meeting.
- Coordinated INTA Roundtable “Entering Difficult Jurisdictions” April 20, 2017.
- “Copyright and Fair Use in Academics” presented to Temple University Graduate Student Association professional development workshop, March 3, 2017.
Jenna is interested in running, yoga, crochet, baking, and classic cocktails.