Edward J. Longosz, II
Board of Directors
Ed Longosz has a local and nationwide practice with a broad range of experience in complex civil litigation. He is practice includes business torts, class actions, the defense of toxic torts, product liability, professional malpractice D&O matters. In addition, he represents airlines on passenger and cargo claims, commercial and regulatory matters, government compliance and investigations, antitrust, class actions, insurance coverage, contract disputes, agency disputes, and bad faith cases.
- Represents clients in various state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the country in foreign jurisdictions and in arbitrations and mediations.
- Served as lead counsel in numerous trials and appeals in state and federal courts.
- Served as lead counsel in multiple litigation matters, including international airlines in trial courts, agency proceedings and investigations, and appeals.
- Served as lead counsel in negotiating complex commercial contract disputes involving wet lease agreements, intellectual property issues, trade secrets, and financial matters.
- Served as lead counsel in medical device stent class action litigation in successfully defeating certifications of certain classes and obtained favorable settlement of remaining reduced class members.
- Defended national trade association in HIV blood transfusion cases; represents the second largest elevator company in the world in product liability matters; represents insurance companies in connection with coverage opinions, contractual claims, class actions, bad faith and fraud claims, defending asbestos exposure cases, and providing litigation avoidance advice.
- Served as lead counsel in various insurance contract and coverage matters, e.g., leading the way to the acceptance of the defense of constructive fraud for insurance companies as a defense to consent judgment actions by insureds.
- Served as lead trial counsel in the successful defense and dismissal of plaintiff’s claims in a breach of contract and trade secret case that involved complex business and financial issues. On behalf of the same client, he was successful in prosecuting a counter-claim in that case which resulted in a substantial multimillion-dollar award.
- Served as lead trial counsel for international insurer in connection with the WR Grace bankruptcy confirmation hearings and trial.
- Served as lead counsel in obtaining dismissals on behalf of international insurer in all cases filed in Ohio and Texas seeking to hold insurers liable for independent tort direct action claims.
- Served as lead counsel in obtaining dismissal on behalf of international insurer in obtaining dismissal of multi-party catastrophic personal injury loss seeking to hold insurers liable for independent tort direct action claims.
- Served as lead counsel for international insurer in complex commercial litigation subprime matters.
- District of Columbia Defense Lawyers Association, Past President
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Past Bar Leadership Member
- Virginia Association of Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association Torts & Insurance Practice Section, Committees on Liability & Manufacturers & Self-Insureds
- The Defense Research Institute, Past National Committee Legislative Member; Attended/Participant Class Action, Product Liability and Asbestos Conference
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia, Former Mediator and Arbitrator
- Office of the Circuit Executive, United States District Court for the District of Columbia Circuit, Former Neutral Evaluator and Mediator
- Member, CLM (Claims and Litigation Management Alliance)
Awards and Recognition:
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigator, 2018
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Board of Directors, Council for Court Excellence (CCE)
- National Registry of Who’s Who Published in the 2000 Edition
News and Insights
- “D.C. Enacts Near Total Ban on Non-Competes,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 26, 2021.
- “States Enact COVID-19 Business Liability Protections as Congress Deadlocks,” Eckert Seamans’ Business Liability Alert December 14, 2020.
- “The End of Frye-Reed and Maryland’s Formal Adoption of the Daubert Standard,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, September 16, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Legal Update: Maryland Executive Order No. 20-03-23-01,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 25, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Legal Updates: Washington, D.C. Mayor Order No. 2020-053,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 25, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Update: Business Interruption Insurance Litigation and Related Legislation,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 23, 2020.