Edward C. Flynn
Ed Flynn has over 35 years of experience as a trial attorney in a wide range of matters. He has tried and argued cases in both federal and state appellate courts. His current practice is heavily concentrated on patent infringement litigation, representing both patent owners trying to protect their intellectual property against theft or copying, and businesses who have been accused of infringing intellectual property of others. Ed has litigated cases and negotiated license agreements involving various technologies, including those relating to semiconductor and memory devices such as DRAM, flash memory and SSDs, integrated circuits, and software applications relating to internet advertising and digital downloads. He has represented clients in the federal district courts of multiple jurisdictions, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He also has extensive experience in Inter-Partes Review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO.
Beyond his intellectual property litigation experience, Ed’s practice has included litigating large-scale construction and other commercial disputes, as well as fraud, insurance coverage, toxic tort, products liability, and death claims. Ed is also qualified as a mediator in matters before federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals.
- Counsel for patent owners in multiple cases against major memory device manufacturer relating to circuitry and control methods for controlling and managing NAND Flash Memory and DRAM devices;
- Counsel for patent owner in multiple cases against major semiconductor device manufacturer relating to semiconductor fabrication and semiconductor packaging;
- Represented patent owner in multiple cases against major semiconductor device manufacturers relating to integrated circuit processing devices such as FPGAs;
- Represented patent owner in case against major search engine relating to accounting methods in internet advertising;
- Represented accused infringer in case relating to digital download of music over internet;
- Represented patent owners in numerous licensing negotiations;
- Represented prime contractor in dispute involving major project for repair and upgrade of a frequency converter at electrical power substation facility owned by public utility;
- Represented subcontractor in dispute involving project for construction of large bay bridge for state government;
- Represented surety in litigation relating to takeover of public works construction project;
- Represented manufacturer in mass tort cases alleging variety of chemical exposures;
- Represented plaintiff in bad faith insurance coverage case;
- Represented plaintiffs in death and serious injury claims;
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in product liability cases.
- American Inns of Court, Officer
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Associate for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
Over the years, Ed has been involved in several pro bono and charitable organizations. He has participated in Attorneys Against Hunger, provided pro bono legal services for shelter residents, and served with the Arthritis Foundation to help raise money and awareness to fight against the ravaging effects of rheumatoid and other forms of arthritis. He is also an elementary school reading mentor with Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh.
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation
- W. Edward Sell American Inn of Court Professionalism Award Recipient, 2016
News and Insights
- “Eckert Seamans Regains Patent Expert From Cohen & Grace,” Law360, August 2018.
- “Eckert Seamans welcomes IP member back to firm,” World Intellectual Property Review, August 2018.
Ed loves being active and playing sports, particularly tennis and baseball. Having coached his kids in various sports for many years when they were young, he now takes great pleasure in how they have assumed the mantle with their own children, to whom he is equally devoted.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 1981; Member of Notre Dame Law Review; Recipient of the Edward F. Barrett Award for outstanding achievement in Trial Advocacy
B.A., summa cum laude, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1978