Dorothy A. Davis
Board of Directors
Chair, Financial Services Litigation
Chair, Eckert Seamans Charitable Foundation
Dot Davis previously served as Co-CEO of Eckert Seamans. She concentrates her practice on commercial, business, and real estate transactions and litigation in both individual cases and class actions. Dot serves as chair of the Financial Services Litigation practice and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors. Her broad litigation and counseling experience enables her to bring a unique and practical problem solving perspective to a range of legal challenges and opportunities.
She has represented clients regarding consumer fraud and FTC statutes, RESPA, Truth-in-Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, U.C.C. Article 3 and 4, loan servicing, contested foreclosures, predatory lending, Retail Installment Sales Act, Consumer Sales Practices Act, coal, oil and gas, and fiduciary duty, corporate governance and estate claims in state and federal courts, bankruptcy courts, and mediations and arbitrations. Prior to private practice, Dot was an attorney with United States Steel Corporation representing its corporate finance group, realty division, energy, purchasing, and transportation departments, and the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad and its 13 consolidated railroads and dock companies.
- Counsel for nationwide financial institutions and servicers in lender liability, contested foreclosures and bankruptcy litigation.
- Counsel in class action securities fraud, electronic funds transfer, consumer finance, antitrust, insurance coverage and toxic tort litigation.
- Counsel in litigation involving oil and gas rights including Marcellus Shale.
- Counsel in multi-billion dollar corporate control litigation.
- Counsel in a successful $75 million minority shareholder litigation.
- National coordinating counsel for litigation, claims, and warranties for an international roof manufacturer throughout the United States.
- Counsel for a $32 million divestiture of the assets of a metal and fiberglass reinforced grading product division of a publicly-held corporation.
- Counsel to high net worth individuals and their families and private entities in real estate development transactions, litigation, family foundation, and trust issues, and the acquisition and divestiture of private companies.
- Counsels and litigates in the areas of corporate governance, fiduciary duty, lender liability, mortgage backed securitizations, real estate, leasing, consumer finance, fair credit reporting, bankruptcy, contested foreclosures, contracts, professional liability defense, insurance coverage, risk allocation and loss prevention, collections and workouts, toxic tort, wage and restrictive covenants, trademark, advertising and FTC compliance, construction, and transportation.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- WQED Multimedia, Board of Directors
- Carlow University, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, Chair of the Board of Trustees, and Chair of Presidential Search Committee
- Pittsburgh Film Office, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee
- Pittsburgh Public Theater, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Chair of Anti-Racism Task Force
- Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild/Bidwell Training Center, Trustee Emeritus
- International Women’s Forum – Pittsburgh Chapter, Member
- University of Pittsburgh Law Alumni Association, Member
- The Pennsylvania Society, Member
- Previous member of the boards of Little Lake Theater Company, The Wesley Institute, Neighborhood Legal Services, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra’s New Leadership Board, Girl Scouts of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Allegheny County Library Association, and Angel Ridge Animal Rescue
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh 2005 A Tribute To Women award in the Professional Services category
- Carlow College Woman of Spirit Award and the Carlow College Alumni Association Service Award
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “More law firms appointing dual CEOs to maintain client continuity,” Pittsburgh Business Times, May 17, 2017.
- “Law firm Eckert Seamans names first woman to CEO post,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 14, 2017.
- “The Intersection of the Law, Creativity, Economic Development, Culture & Community: Why would you not want to be involved?” presented to the Allegheny County Bar Association Arts and Law Committee, September 2021.
- “Negotiating an Oil and Gas Lease,” CONSOL Land Super School III, October 8, 2013.
- “Essential Leadership Qualities,” panelist, National Diversity & Leadership Conference, September 2013.
- “Oil and Gas Litigation,” CONSOL Energy Land Super School, March 26, 2012.
- “Litigating in Orphans’ Court,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2003 and 2006.