Debora Plehn-Dujowich has extensive experience as a patent attorney focusing on life sciences technologies. She began her career as a molecular biologist, and now focuses her patent law practice on the biomedical sciences. She assists clients in identifying, protecting, and enforcing their intellectual property in the life sciences space and is experienced in handling IP matters involving immunotherapy, immunology, antibodies, antibody architecture, chimeric antigen receptors (CARs), therapeutics, biological entities, development of biopharmaceuticals, biotechnology, biochemistry, tissue culture, vaccines, oncology, virology, microbiome, plants, seeds, agriculture, food chemistry, consumer products, medical devices, protein chemistry, organic chemistry, small molecules, material science, nanotechnology, electronics, polymers, natural products, chemical processes, water treatment, environment, pharmaceuticals, and diagnostics.
She regularly conducts patent preparation and prosecution, due diligence, and prepares patentability opinions, landscape opinions, and freedom to operate opinions. Debora has also participated in reexamination and interference proceedings.
Debora obtained her Ph.D. in biology from Yale University, where she researched the inhibition of influenza virus infections by use of external guide sequences and RNase P in a laboratory led by Sidney Altman, a winner of the Noble Prize in Chemistry. She was also a post-doctoral fellow of structural biology at the Wistar Institute, a nonprofit research institute focused on oncology, immunology, infectious disease, and vaccine research. Debora also taught college biology and chemistry as a tenure track professor at Northampton Community College and was a visiting professor at Lehigh University before attending law school.
Prior to law school, Debora earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biochemistry from Geneva University in Switzerland, and a master’s degree in life sciences from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel.
- Conducts due diligence review of patent portfolios for several large and small pharmaceutical companies;
- Drafts freedom-to-operate opinions for several large and small pharmaceutical companies;
- Drafts patentability opinions for several large and small pharmaceutical companies;
- Prepares and prosecutes patents in the small molecule and pharmaceutical fields for several large and small pharmaceutical companies;
- Prepares and prosecutes patents in the immunology, virology, and oncology fields for large and small pharmaceutical companies;
- Prepares and prosecutes patents in the life sciences, chemistry, biotechnology, and synthetic biology fields for a research institute;
- Prepares and prosecutes patents in the life sciences, chemistry, and biotechnology fields for a research university.
Awards and Recognition:
- Women in Law Awards for Biotechnology Practice, Lawyer Monthly, 2015
- Israeli Endocrine Society Prize for the best abstract for basic research, presented at the Annual Meeting of the Israeli Endocrine Society, 1993
- European Community of International Schools Prize for International Understanding, 1986
News and Insights
- Editor, AIPLA Biotech Buzz 2016-2017
- Editor, AIPLA International Headlines Newsletter 2018-present
- Overview and Licensing and Agreement Aspects Related to Genetic Resources, article in LES Insights, available at: https://www.lesusacanada.org/news/295993/Overview-and-Licensing-and-Agreement-Aspects-Related-to-Genetic-Resources.htm#.V3XLmbUHcAg.facebook
- Panelist, AIPLA Women in IP breakfast at the 2019 AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute
- Panelist, AIPLA Patent Prosecution Boot Camp in May 2019
- Panelist, AIPLA Patent Prosecution Boot Camp in February 2018
- Panelist, AIPLA Patent Prosecution Boot Camp in October 2016
- AIPLA Representative at the World Intellectual Property Organization General Assembly in October 2017
- AIPLA Representative at the World Intellectual Property Organization Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore 2015-2017
- Webinar on Emerging Biotech for AIPLA Biotech Committee in September 2017
- Webinar on Trade Secrets in Biotech, Biosimilars and Medical Devices in March 2016
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2008
Ph.D., Yale University, 1997
M.S. (Diplome), Geneva University and Weizmann Institute of Science, 1994
M.S., Weizmann Institute of Science Feinberg Graduate School, 1992
B.Sc. (Licence), Geneva University, 1990