David J. Strasser
David Strasser primarily practices in the area of insurance coverage and commercial litigation. Since joining Eckert Seamans in 1998 and prior as an assistant general counsel for CBS/Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Dave litigated and managed a wide variety of environmental, toxic tort, and product insurance coverage claims and negotiated settlements in these matters.
He has extensive experience dealing with foreign and domestic insolvent insurers and is a member of the creditors’ committee of a number of insolvent London Market Companies.
- J.H. France Refractories Co. v. Allstate Ins. Co., 626 A.2d 502 (Pa. 1993)(represented policyholder amicus curiae in action regarding trigger and scope of coverage for mass tort claims).
- Viacom Inc. v. Transit Casualty Co., 138 S.W.3d 723 (Mo. 2004)( represented policyholder in action against insolvent insurer).
- Westinghouse Electric Corporation v. American Home Assurance Co., 2004 N.J. Super. Unpub Lexis 2, certification denied, 861 A.2d 845 (2004)(managed toxic tort coverage litigation on behalf of policyholder).
- Aetna Casualty & Surety Company v. Commonwealth of Kentucky, 179 S.W.2d 830 (Ky. 2005)(co-counsel representing policyholder in coverage action under nuclear policies).
- Federal Ins. Co v. Continental Casualty Co., 2006 U.S. Dist. Lexis 85323 (WDPa. 2006)(represented director in coverage dispute under D&O policies).
- In Re Midland Ins. Co., 16 N.Y. 3d 536 (N.Y. Ct of Appeals 2011)(represented policyholder in action against insolvent insurer).
- Represented clients in insurance coverage matters, including advising them in the strategic use of insurance and other risk management techniques to address potential risks and liabilities.
- Litigated and resolved multi-million dollar insurance coverage actions related to environmental, toxic tort, defective product, and general commercial liabilities.
- Represented clients in the presentment and negotiation of claims under specialty policies such as directors’ and officers’, aircraft products, employer liability, nuclear, and fiduciary policies.
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh, elementary school reading mentor
News and Insights
- “COVID-19 Update: Business Interruption Insurance Litigation and Related Legislation,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, March 23, 2020.
- “Is There Coverage for Damages Caused by Faulty Construction? The Courts Change Course,” Construction Executive, May 2014.
- “Is There Coverage for Damage Caused by Faulty Construction? The Courts Change Course,” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Spring 2014.
- “Is There Insurance Coverage for Claims Arising Out of Your Subcontractor’s ‘Faulty’ Work?” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Spring 2010.
- “The Pollution Exclusion Under Ohio Law: Staying the Course,” co-authored with Thomas Reiter and William Pohlman, University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1991.
- December Technical Meeting of the International Alliance of Asbestos and Pollution Reinsurers, Guest Speaker (Cologne, Germany), December 10, 2015.
- “Insurance Implications of Asbestos,” Asbestos: Current Issues and Effective Litigation Tactics, National Business Institute, October 2011.
- “Avoiding the Pitfalls of Additional Insured Status,” Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Education (CLE), August 2011.
- “Significant Developments in the Asbestos Litigation from the Policyholders Perceptive,” International Alliance of Asbestos and Pollution Reinsurers Technical Meeting (Cologne Germany), December 2008.
- “The Claims Process – Avoiding Insurance Disputes,” Business Insurance Seminar, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) (Pittsburgh Pennsylvania), February 2008.
- “An Insured’s View of the Changing Asbestos Litigation Landscape,” International Alliance of Asbestos and Pollution Reinsurers Technical Meeting (Cologne Germany), December 2006.
- “Insurance Insolvency –What Does it Mean for Business,” Business Insurance Seminar, PBI (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), February 2005.
- “Avoiding and Resolving Insurance Coverage Disputes,” Pittsburgh Risk and Insurance Management Society (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), November 2002.
- “Dealing with Insurance Insolvencies,” Mealey’s Asbestos & Mold Insurance Conference (Marina del Rey, California), March 2002.