Daniel N. Reisman
Chair, Real Estate and Land Use
Dan Reisman is chair of the firm-wide Real Estate and Land Use Departments. He practices in the areas of real estate, land use, and corporate law.
Over the course of his career, Dan has developed a national practice representing buyers, sellers, developers, borrowers, lenders, landlords, tenants, and brokers in a variety of matters. His practice covers a wide range of asset classes, including multi-family housing, single-family residential, office, retail, hospitality, gaming, and industrial projects. He represents borrowers and lenders in both syndicated and single-lender real estate financings in connection with a variety of debt structures, including construction loans, permanent mortgage loans, secured revolving credit facilities, standby letter-of-credit facilities, and mezzanine loans. Dan has served as lead real estate counsel on transactions involving new market tax credits, historic tax credits, Fannie Mae loans, Freddie Mac loans, credit tenant loan financing transactions, and loans from public agencies. He prepares and negotiates a broad range of real estate documents, including agreements of sale, leases, complex loan documents, construction contracts, and documents subjecting properties to the condominium and planned community forms of ownership.
In his land use practice, Dan regularly appears before the Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment and other government bodies in Philadelphia on behalf of owners, developers, private operators, landlords, tenants, and non-profits. He has also appeared regularly before the Planning Board and the Historic Preservation Commission in historic Haddonfield, New Jersey.
In his corporate practice, he represents clients in connection with the negotiation of organizational documents, such as partnership and operating agreements, and in fundamental corporate transactions such as asset purchases and sales. He has also developed a niche practice representing nonprofits — including both small, community-based nonprofits and several of the largest nonprofits in the Philadelphia region — in real estate, land use, and corporate matters.
Based on this breadth of experience, Dan is able to navigate through the entire land development process on behalf of his clients, from entity formation and structuring, governmental entitlements, financing, and acquisition, through construction, leasing, and development of the property.
- Representation of purchaser in connection with the acquisition and re-development of a large historic property into a healthcare facility financed with new market tax credits and historic tax credits. The representation included the negotiation of the agreement of sale, anchor tenant leases, organizational documents, and construction loan documents, as well as serving as the developer’s lead counsel in in obtaining the land use approvals for the project.
- Representation of developer in connection the acquisition of vacant parcels of land re-developed as a large single-family townhome community, including the negotiation of the agreement of sale, preparation, and negotiation of partnership documents with large pension fund, obtaining governmental approvals, and negotiating the acquisition and construction loan.
- Representation of purchaser in connection with the acquisition of a major metropolitan hospital, including the negotiation of the agreement of sale, preparation of the organizational documents, and serving as lead counsel in the credit tenant loan financing.
- Representation of developer in connection with acquisition, financing, and renovations of multifamily rental housing in regions across the United States.
- Representation of developer in legal matters relating to the development of condominium and planned community projects, including negotiating the acquisition and loan documents, obtaining zoning variances and other required approvals necessary for construction of projects, preparing the relevant documents subjecting the properties to the condominium or planned community form of ownership, and representing the developer in the sale of individual residential units to the end buyers.
- Representation of developer in connection with adaptive re-use of a former industrial warehouse into an educational center using new market tax credit financing, including negotiating the acquisition and loan documents and obtaining zoning variances and other required approvals.
- Representation of nonprofit in connection with the development of a state-of-the-art job training facility.
- Representation of one of largest Certified Development Companies in the United States on loans made under the SBA 504 loan program.
- Negotiated long-term ground lease and related documents for major casino operator in connection with the construction of a new casino in Central Pennsylvania.
- Representation of nonprofit in connection with the adaptive re-use of a historic structure into a performing arts center, including negotiating the acquisition and loan documents, obtaining street strikings, and obtaining zoning variances and other required governmental approvals.
- Representation of a nonprofit providing legal services to low-income persons in connection with the development and construction of its state-of-the-art offices using new market tax credit financing, including negotiating the acquisition agreement, loan documents, construction contracts, and various other documents with state and local agencies, and obtaining the necessary governmental approvals.
- Representation of developer and housing authority in connection with obtaining zoning variances and other governmental approvals for the new construction of affordable scattered-site housing.
- Representation of prominent Philadelphia restaurateur in connection with the development and operation of restaurants in Philadelphia and other cities.
- Representation of major Philadelphia museum in rendering advice on governmental approval requirements for museum outreach program.
- Yale Association of Real Estate Alumni, Philadelphia Chapter Coordinator
- Lambda Alpha International, an international honorary land economics society, Philadelphia Chapter, Board Member and Past President
- JEVS Human Services Corporate Partners Council, Member
- Haddonfield Zoning Board of Adjustment, Former Member (2005-2012)
- Philadelphia Bar Association Land Use Committee
- Building Industry Association of Philadelphia, Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2023 and 2024 for Real Estate Law
- Honored by Community Legal Services of Philadelphia with its Equal Justice Award for his outstanding contributions to the cause of justice for all.
News and Insights
- “The Dotted Line: What to consider before entering a JV,” Construction Dive, February 2021.
“Eckert Seamans Assists with Parx Casino’s New Facility in Shippensburg,” February 2023.