PRESIDENT TRUMP ISSUES PROCLAMATION SUSPENDING AND LIMITING CERTAIN VISAS
July 1, 2020
On June 22, 2020, President Trump issued a Presidential Proclamation, available here, suspending and limiting entry to aliens seeking entry to the U.S. under the following visas:
- H-1B or H-2B visas, and any alien accompanying or following to join such alien;
- non-student/research J-1 visas, to the extent the alien is participating in an intern, trainee, teacher, camp counselor, au pair, or summer work travel program, and any alien accompanying or following to join such alien; and
- L-1 visas, and any alien accompanying or following to join such alien.
This suspension and limitation only applies to an alien who is:
- Outside the U.S. on or before June 24, 2020 (effective date);
- Does not have a nonimmigrant visa that is valid on June 24, 2020; and
- Does not have an official travel document other than a visa (such as a transportation letter, an appropriate boarding foil, or an advance parole document) that is valid on June 24, 2020, or issued on any date thereafter that permits him or her to travel to the United States and seek entry or admission.
Therefore, persons who are already in the United States, persons who hold valid H-1B, H-2B, J-1, or L-1 visas as of June 24, 2020, and persons who hold different classes of visas (such as D, C-1, C-1/D crewmember visas) are NOT impacted by the Presidential Proclamation.
This order is set to expire on December 31, 2020, unless continued further.
If you have any questions, please contact Evelyn Sahr (email@example.com or 202-659-6622); Drew Derco (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-659-6665), or Andy Orr (email@example.com or 202-659-6625).