Andrew P. Orr
Andrew Orr is an associate in the aviation group, where his practice focuses on regulatory matters. He assists clients in administrative proceedings and enforcement actions before various federal agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and others. He also supports the firm’s commercial work for air carriers and airports.
Prior to joining private practice, Andrew served as a judicial intern at both the National Transportation Safety Board and the U.S. Department of Transportation. In this capacity, he assisted administrative law judges who were presiding over FAA and other DOT enforcement actions, including actions on the transport of hazardous materials and pilot and mechanic certificate actions.
Andrew has general aviation experience, having trained as a pilot and worked as a flight instructor. He maintains airmen certificates with commercial multiengine and single engine land privileges; multiengine, single engine, and instrument flight instructor privileges; and advanced and instrument ground instructor privileges.
- Represented a multinational cleaning supply manufacturer in its launch of an innovative new product in the North American market by obtaining the necessary special permits from the U.S. Department of Transportation and equivalency certificates from Transport Canada to allow a specialized manufacturing process.
- Member of a team that assisted two airport sponsors with preliminary applications under 49 U.S.C. § 47134 for the Airport Investment Partnership Program (formerly the Airport Privatization Pilot Program). The preliminary application is the first step in a lengthy process to obtain authorization from the FAA to sell or lease airports to private operators.
- Represented a commercial space operator in obtaining a special permit from the U.S. Department of Transportation for the transport of commercial launch vehicles.
- American Bar Association – Forum on Air and Space Law
News and Insights
- “Realizing Africa’s Promise: Overcoming Obstacles on the Flight Path from Yamoussoukro to SAATM,” Aviation & Allied Business Journal, August 9, 2018.
- “DOT and FAA Regulatory Reform under the Trump Administration,”ABA Air & Space Law Journal, Vol. 31 No. 2, July 1, 2018.
- “Regulatory Reform in the Trump Era – The First 100 Days,” Yale Journal on Regulation, Nov 22, 2017.
- “Administering the Administrative State: Regulatory Reform in the Trump Era,” The Journal of Hazmat Transportation, Apr 2017.
- “Shippers Beware: FAA is Tightening its Rein on Lithium Batteries,” The Journal of Hazmat Transportation, Jan 2017.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert – September 2020,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Update September 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert – August 2020,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Update August 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert – July 2020,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Update July 31, 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert – June 2020,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Update July 1, 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert – May 2020,” May 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update for the Weeks of April 13 and April 20, 2020,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Update April 13 & 20, 2020.
- “March 2020 Aviation Regulatory Update,” March 26, 2020.
- “Aviation Regulatory Alert,” Eckert Seamans' Aviation Regulatory Alert February 2020.