William T. Benzing III
Bill Benzing serves as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and borrower’s counsel for a variety of public finance transactions, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, single and multi-family housing bonds, and 501(c)(3) bonds. He also represents financial institutions in the implementation of derivative transactions such as interest rate swaps.
- Represented as bond counsel a municipal authority in refunding all of its outstanding debt and drafting a new trust indenture to replace and modernize its 70-year-old bond authorization documents.
- Served as co-purchaser’s counsel in multiple student loan note transactions aggregating over $1.5 billion.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel to various top underwriting firms in public offerings, private placement, and Rule 144A transactions.
- Served as borrower’s counsel for Michigan Finance Authority Limited Obligation Revenue Refunding Bonds (Thomas M. Cooley Law School Project) in the amount of $65.5 million.
- Represent as counsel a national banking association in various swap transactions, including novations, fixed and floating rate swaps, foreign exchange, caps, terminations, and swaptions.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- VITA Tax Clinic volunteer, 2009-present
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013 – 2016)
News and Insights
- “The Basics of Swap Risk and Documentation,” presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers, 2012.
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2004
B.A., with distinction, The Pennsylvania State University, 1998