Ryan J. Cassidy
Board of Directors
Chair, Labor & Employment
Ryan Cassidy on Counseling Clients in the Era of “#MeToo”
Ryan Cassidy, chair of Eckert Seamans' Labor & Employment Group and a member of the firm's Philadelphia office, discusses the "#MeToo" movement's impact on his clients, who have developed heightened vigilance and urgency to to contact legal counsel when situations arise.WATCH VIDEO
Ryan Cassidy is chair of the firm-wide Labor and Employment Group. He practices exclusively management-side labor and employment law in both the public and private sector.
He previously served as a judicial law clerk to the late Honorable Joseph T. Doyle of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
- Represents clients in the context of grievance and interest arbitration issues, labor injunctions, and collective bargaining.
- Represents clients on state and federal administrative agency charges.
- Represents clients in employment-related litigation and local agency hearings.
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Selected for inclusion in the Legal Intelligencer and Pennsylvania Law Weekly as one of the “Top 50 Lawyers Under 40” in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
News and Insights
- Frequent author on a variety of labor and employment law topics including: the National Labor Relations Act; the Policemen and Firemen Collective Bargaining Act (Act 111); the Police Pension Fund Act (Act 600); the Public Employee Relations Act (Act 195); the Police Tenure Act; Civil Service under the Borough Code and First Class Township Code; and the Local Agency Law.
- The Developing Labor Law, Chapter editor to this national treatise on federal labor law.
- “The Model Hiring Manual” for Pennsylvania Municipalities, co-author, Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, Governor’s Center for Local Government Service, 2003.
- “The Coronavirus and the Pennsylvania Public Employer – What Do We Do?,” Eckert Seamans' Labor & Employment Alert March 12, 2020.
- “All Pennsylvania Borough Police Have Civil Service Rights,” Eckert Seamans' Labor & Employment Update July 2019.
- “Pennridge School Board see shakeup,” The Reporter Online, May 1, 2018.
- “Pennridge school board replaces president, solicitor,” The Intelligencer, April 25, 2018
- “Pennridge teachers ratify 4-year contract,” The Intelligencer, September 23, 2015.
- “Fireman Pension Forces City to Lose Its Water Money: Muni Credit,” Bloomberg News, December 20, 2012.
- “Interplay between Workers’ Compensation and Heart & Lung Claims,” Bucks County Bar Association’s December Marathon Day, December 20, 2017.
- Panelist, “Interest arbitration can be interesting: A comparative analysis – Canada and the U.S.” National Academy of Arbitrators, New Orleans, October 2016.
- “What Every Municipal Solicitor Should Know About Labor and Employment Law,” course planner and presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, March 2014.
- “Handling a Discipline Case,” co-presenter , Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, December 2013.
- “The Year in Review in Labor and Employment Law,” “Top Ten List of Classic Employment Problems,” and “Getting Ready to Negotiate,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, December 2013.
- “Non-uniform Bargaining Issues” and “Act 111 Arbitration Panel,” panelist, Public Sector Labor Law & Benefit Forum, September 2013.
- “The National Labor Relations Board: The Saga Continues and What Employers Need to Know,” Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, April 2013.
- “Employee Drug Testing,” 2012 Annual PA Municipal Legal Update, sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, August 2012.
- “NLRB Update: How the NLRB is Remaking Labor Relations in America,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, May 2012.
- “What Every Municipal Solicitor Should Know About Labor & Employment Law,” course planner and co-author, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, March 2012 (November 2010, October 2010, May 2004).
- “Collective Bargaining & Interest Arbitration in a Down Economy,” Montgomery County Association of Township Officials’ Fall Convention, September 30, 2011.
- “Public Employee Speech Issues: The More Things Change The More They Stay the Same,” 2011 Municipal Law Colloquium, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2011.
- “Pros & Cons of Severance Agreements, Cutting Labor Costs & Outsourcing,” Montgomery County Consortium of Communities, June 17, 2011.
- “Contract Negotiations in 2011: What to Expect (and How to Achieve Results),” Bucks County Consortium of Communities, June 2, 2011.
- “County Bargaining” & “Relevant Act 47 Provisions,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute Labor Law Symposium, November 2008.