Ryan J. Cassidy
Board of Directors
Chair, Labor & Employment
Ryan Cassidy is chair of the firm-wide Labor and Employment Group. He practices exclusively management-side labor and employment law in both the public and private sector.
He previously served as a judicial law clerk to the late Honorable Joseph T. Doyle of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
- Represents clients in the context of grievance and interest arbitration issues, labor injunctions, and collective bargaining.
- Represents clients on state and federal administrative agency charges.
- Represents clients in employment-related litigation and local agency hearings.
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Selected for inclusion in the Legal Intelligencer and Pennsylvania Law Weekly as one of the “Top 50 Lawyers Under 40” in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
News and Insights
- Frequent author on a variety of labor and employment law topics including: the National Labor Relations Act; the Policemen and Firemen Collective Bargaining Act (Act 111); the Police Pension Fund Act (Act 600); the Public Employee Relations Act (Act 195); the Police Tenure Act; Civil Service under the Borough Code and First Class Township Code; and the Local Agency Law.
- The Developing Labor Law, Chapter editor to this national treatise on federal labor law.
- “The Model Hiring Manual” for Pennsylvania Municipalities, co-author, Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, Governor’s Center for Local Government Service, 2003.
- “Pennridge School Board see shakeup,” The Reporter Online, May 1, 2018.
- “Pennridge school board replaces president, solicitor,” The Intelligencer, April 25, 2018
- “Pennridge teachers ratify 4-year contract,” The Intelligencer, September 23, 2015.
- “Fireman Pension Forces City to Lose Its Water Money: Muni Credit,” Bloomberg News, December 20, 2012.
- “Interplay between Workers’ Compensation and Heart & Lung Claims,” Bucks County Bar Association’s December Marathon Day, December 20, 2017.
- Panelist, “Interest arbitration can be interesting: A comparative analysis – Canada and the U.S.” National Academy of Arbitrators, New Orleans, October 2016.
- “What Every Municipal Solicitor Should Know About Labor and Employment Law,” course planner and presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, March 2014.
- “Handling a Discipline Case,” co-presenter , Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, December 2013.
- “The Year in Review in Labor and Employment Law,” “Top Ten List of Classic Employment Problems,” and “Getting Ready to Negotiate,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, December 2013.
- “Non-uniform Bargaining Issues” and “Act 111 Arbitration Panel,” panelist, Public Sector Labor Law & Benefit Forum, September 2013.
- “The National Labor Relations Board: The Saga Continues and What Employers Need to Know,” Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, April 2013.
- “Employee Drug Testing,” 2012 Annual PA Municipal Legal Update, sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, August 2012.
- “NLRB Update: How the NLRB is Remaking Labor Relations in America,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, May 2012.
- “What Every Municipal Solicitor Should Know About Labor & Employment Law,” course planner and co-author, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, March 2012 (November 2010, October 2010, May 2004).
- “Collective Bargaining & Interest Arbitration in a Down Economy,” Montgomery County Association of Township Officials’ Fall Convention, September 30, 2011.
- “Public Employee Speech Issues: The More Things Change The More They Stay the Same,” 2011 Municipal Law Colloquium, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2011.
- “Pros & Cons of Severance Agreements, Cutting Labor Costs & Outsourcing,” Montgomery County Consortium of Communities, June 17, 2011.
- “Contract Negotiations in 2011: What to Expect (and How to Achieve Results),” Bucks County Consortium of Communities, June 2, 2011.
- “County Bargaining” & “Relevant Act 47 Provisions,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute Labor Law Symposium, November 2008.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., with honors, Widener University Delaware Law School, 1996; Executive Managing Editor, Law Review; Founder, “The Annual Survey of Pennsylvania Administrative Law” (Widener Journal of Public Law)
B.A., Rutgers University, 1993