Ryan A. Mentzer
Ryan assists municipalities, school districts, and municipality authorities in issuing tax-exempt bonds and notes to finance new projects and to refinance outstanding debt. He also assists other beneficiaries of tax-exempt financing including continuing care retirement communities, colleges, hospitals, and volunteer fire companies, and represents banking institutions in public finance transactions throughout Pennsylvania. He has experience as bond counsel for municipalities and municipality authorities in transactions with the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (PennVest), as well as experience with tax increment financings (TIFs).
While studying at The Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, Ryan worked in the Penn State Law Entrepreneur Assistance Clinic, where he helped entrepreneurs, start-ups and nonprofit organizations with common legal issues such as entity formation, founder and initial investor agreements, shareholder agreements, loan arrangements, operating agreements, and employee management.
- Represented boroughs, townships, and water and sewer authorities as bond counsel in Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (PennVest) transactions totaling approximately $10 million of loan and grant money in 2017.
- Represented a Pennsylvania continuing care retirement community issuing approximately $15 million in tax-exempt debt for the construction of a new skilled-nursing facility as bond counsel.
- Served as bond counsel to a Pennsylvania liberal arts college in the approximately $25 million tax-exempt financing of a new educational building for its campus.
- Represented a Pennsylvania public school district as bond counsel in securing approximately $10 million in tax-exempt financing for the construction of a new elementary school.
- Represented a Pennsylvania public school district as bond counsel in securing approximately $10 million in tax-exempt financing for the renovation of a high school.
- Served as bank counsel for a $90,000 tax-exempt loan to a Pennsylvania township for the purchase of new dump truck.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- Dauphin County Bar Association
News and Insights
- “Reform of Sports Gambling in the United States: Lessons from Down Under,” Arizona State University Sports & Entertainment Law Journal, Fall 2015.
- “Emergency COVID-19 Tax Anticipation Note Financing,” Eckert Seamans' Public Finance Alert November 23, 2020.
In his free time, Ryan enjoys cooking, playing golf, and spending time with his family. He remains an avid Auburn and Penn State football fan.