Jay T. Blount
Vice Chair, Hospitality & Gaming
Jay Blount represents owners, developers, and managers of hotels and mixed-use projects. The core of his practice is negotiating hotel management agreements (both brand and third-party), hotel franchise agreements and joint venture agreements for hotel and mixed-use projects.
He also represents buyers and sellers of hotels. When representing buyers, Jay and other Eckert Seamans team members advise on all aspects of the acquisition, including real estate matters, management and franchise agreements, and loan documents and related agreements, such as comfort letters and manager non-disturbance agreements.
Jay also has a strong background in brands and trademarks, having assisted an international hotel brand on its sizable trademark portfolio and having spent four years as an in-house lawyer at a large sporting goods retailer, where his duties included advising the company’s substantial private brand business.
- Advises developer and operator of large mixed-use projects on joint venture and related agreements.
- Advises private equity funds and REITs on various aspects of hotel acquisitions, which range from single hotel deals to large hotel portfolios.
- Advised REIT on franchise matters related to its acquisition and refinancing of a 148-hotel portfolio involving 7 different franchisors.
- Advised developer regarding the brand management agreement for a boutique luxury hotel in a mixed-use project.
- Advised university on the management agreement for its on-campus events center.
- Planning Committee, 2018 Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit at Georgetown University Law Center
News and Insights
- “Pittsburgh Hotels: Why So Many New Ones and Who Employs All These People?” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2016.
- “Hospitality: With Hotels, There’s More than Meets the Eye,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2013.
District of Columbia
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1994; Editor-in-Chief, Hastings Law Journal
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1991