Jay T. Blount
Chair, Hospitality Group
Jay Blount is an experienced transactional member, who serves as the Chair of the Hospitality practice at Eckert Seamans. He specializes in representing owners, developers, and managers of (and investors in) hotels, resorts, food and beverage venues and mixed-use projects. Over the years, he has worked on a broad range of hospitality matters across the United States and on a global basis, including for projects in Bhutan, Fiji, France, India, Indonesia, Portugal and Spain.
Jay has extensive knowledge in negotiating hotel brand management agreements and joint venture agreements. He also regularly represents buyers and sellers of hotels and resorts, including through debt acquisitions and restructurings.
Jay also was in-house lawyer at a Fortune 500 sporting goods retailer, where he advised its substantial private brand business and developed a strong background in brands and trademarks.
- Advised an owner client regarding a brand management agreement with Hilton for the 1,000-key Diplomat Beach Resort in Florida.
- Advised a brand operator client on its purchase of a majority stake in a Colorado hotel and the planned conversion of that hotel to its brand.
- Advised an owner client regarding a brand management agreement for a Hyatt Regency to be converted into a Grand Hyatt.
- Advised an owner client regarding a brand management agreement for a Ritz Carlton.
- Advised multiple owner clients on food and beverage management agreements and leases.
- Advised investor client on a preferred equity investment in an iconic Colorado hotel.
- Advised a hotel brand client in a deed-in-lieu acquisition of one of its franchised hotels.
- Advised a private equity client on competitor matters related to its acquisition of an ownership stake in a lodging brand.
- Regularly advises luxury and boutique hotel owners regarding management agreements, including for brands The Standard, 1 Hotel, 21c Museum and Alila.
- Planning Committee, Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit at Georgetown University Law Center, 2018-2019
News and Insights
- “Hotel Companies/Agreements Track – Brands & Owners Alignment” panel moderator, The Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS), Los Angeles, California, January 2023.
- “Industry Harmony: How Franchisees & Franchisors Can Co-Exist” panel moderator, ALIS Law, Los Angeles, California, January 2023.
- “The Post-2019 World (Exploring the Impact of COVID-19 on Brand-Ownership Dynamics)” panel moderator, 10th Annual Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit, Georgetown University Law Center, March 2022.
- “Putting Skin in the Game: Balancing Stakeholder Goals in Hospitality Transactions” panel moderator, 8th Annual Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit, Georgetown University Law Center, October 2019.