Jay T. Blount
Vice Chair, Hospitality & Gaming
Jay Blount represents hotel owners, brand operators, and third-party managers. The core of his practice is negotiating hotel and resort management agreements and accompanying joint venture agreements when the operator is investing in the project. He also represents buyers and sellers of hotels.
When representing buyers, Jay and other Eckert Seamans team members advise on all aspects of the acquisition, including real estate matters, management and franchise agreements, and loan documents and related agreements, such as comfort letters and manager non-disturbance agreements. He regularly represents owners and operators in projects located outside of the United States.
He and the Hospitality Group, through their frequent involvement in international projects and the firm’s membership in international law firm networks, have relationships with many foreign counsel who can provide local advice and assistance as needed. He also has a strong background in brands, trademarks, and retail, having spent four years as an in-house lawyer at a large sporting goods retailer, where his duties included advising the company’s substantial private brand business.
- Represents an international resort and spa operator, with resorts and projects in Asia and the Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, Europe, and the Americas.
- Advises private equity funds and REITs on various aspects of hotel acquisitions, which range from single hotel deals to large hotel portfolios.
- Helped advise a private equity fund on potential acquisitions of a major brand and of a sizable luxury resort operator with its own developing brand.
- Advises owners regarding franchise agreements with all the major brands.
News and Insights
- “Pittsburgh Hotels: Why So Many New Ones and Who Employs All These People?” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2016.
- “Hospitality: With Hotels, There’s More than Meets the Eye,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2013.
District Of Columbia
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1994; Editor-in-Chief, Hastings Law Journal
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1991