G. Edward Schweikert, IV
Gedd Schweikert concentrates much of his practice in the public sector, serving as special labor counsel to a number of municipal employers at the state, county, city, borough, and township levels. In addition, he provides legal counsel in employment matters to private businesses and educational institutions, including manufacturing facilities, health care facilities, colleges and universities, and nonprofit organizations.
- Part of a labor counsel team in which a New Jersey for-profit corporation purchased the Meadowlands Health Center from a non-profit health system.
- Part of a labor counsel team who, in representing the City of York, Pennsylvania, obtained a court order vacating an Act 111 interest award on the grounds that the arbitration panel possessed no jurisdiction to issue the award.
- Represents municipalities, private companies and educational institutions in such matters as collective bargaining negotiations, contract interpretation claims, discipline matters, interest arbitrations, grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practice charges, and employment-related litigation.
- Handles contracts and other general litigation matters.
- Frequently negotiates labor agreements with the Teamsters, AFSCME, SEIU, PSEA, the Fraternal Order of Police and the International Association of Firefighters.
- Member of the labor counsel team on the sale of a unionized public nursing home to a private owner.
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Susquehanna University Alumni Association
- Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority Board of Directors, Former Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2024 for Labor Law – Management
News and Insights
- “In Re: Melamed – Right to Know Law Commonwealth Court Interpretation,” co-authored, Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment and Municipal Law & Governance Alert, January 2023.
- “All Pennsylvania Borough Police Have Civil Service Rights,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Update July 2019.
- “Adjunct Faculty Compensation,” Panelist, 2017 Pennsylvania Bureau of Mediation and Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board Joint Conference, March 2017.
- “Who’s in and Who’s Out: Classifications and the Fair Labor Standards Act,” “Confidentiality: What’s Confidential And Who Can I Talk To About It,” “Reefer Madness: Medical Marijuana and Pennsylvania Public Employers,” and “The Year in Review in Labor and Employment Law,” co-presenter, Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors (PSATS), October 2016.
- “Keeping Employees at Work: A Guide to the ADA, FMLA and Absenteeism,” The Manufacturer’s Association, Wake-Up to Manufacturing Breakfast Series, February 2016.
- “Employment Law 101,” Newly Elected Official Training, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors (PSATS), January and February 2016.
- “Police Liability and Body Cameras,” “I’ve Been Wronged! Dealing with Whistle-blowers,” “Winning at Mediation and Arbitration,” “Employment Law Checklist for Municipal Employers,” “Legal Update in Labor and Employment Issues,” co-presenter, Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors (PSATS), October 2015.
- “Employees Behaving Badly: Mistakes Employers Make and How to Fix Them,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education (CLE), September 2015.
- “The Difficult Employee: Attendance and Performance,” “The Monster Under Our Beds: Bad Language in CBAs,” “The Year in Review in Labor and Employment Law,” “How to Hire Without Getting Sued,” and “What Arbitrators Want: A Guide to Just Cause,” co-presenter, Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, PSATS, October 2014.
- “Latest Developments in Employer-Related Discrimination Issues,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, April 2014.
- “Minimizing Risk – Disciplining and Discharging Employees the Right Way,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania Association of County Affiliated Homes Spring Conference, May 2014.
- “#Ihatemyjob – Social Media, Electronic Communications and Maintaining a Positive Workplace,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania Association of County Affiliated Homes Spring Conference, May 2014.
- “Mock Interest and Grievance Arbitrations,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs’ 2014 Annual Conference, April 2014.
- “Legal Update and Key Concepts for 2014,” Pennsylvania State Council for the Society for Human Resources Management, West Branch HR Society, March 2014.
- “The Top 10 List of Classic Employment Problems,” Newly Elected Official Training, PSATS, January, February and March 2014.
- “Managing Time and Attendance: FLSA, FMLA, Sick Leave,” co-presenter, Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, PSATS, December 2013.
- “Dealing with the Injured Employee,” co-presenter, Human Resources and Labor Management Institute, PSATS, December 2013.
- “News You Can Use: A Review of Recent Judicial, Legislative and Regulatory Developments of Significance to Employers,” Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, April 2013.
- “Board Relations and Internal Investigations,” 91st Annual Educational Conference, PSATS, April 2013.
- “Vicarious Liability for Supervisors and Managers,” Lebanon County Supervisors and Managers Conference, October 2012.
- “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Interest and Grievance Arbitrations,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association, July 2012.
- “Equal Employment Opportunity: Credit Checks, Arrest Records, Leaves of Absence, Attendance Policies, Retaliation and Other News You Can Use,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Human Resources Forum, May 2012.
- “Legal Update for Human Resources Professionals,” Pennsylvania State Council for the Society for Human Resources Management, West Branch HR Society, April 2012.
- “An Overview of the Heart and Lung Act,” webinar, Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, March 2012.
- “All the Ethics You Need in One Hour,” Newly Elected Official Training, PSATS, January and February 2012.
- “The Role of the Municipal Solicitor,” co-presenter, 100th Annual Conference of the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, April 2011.