E. Duffy Myrtetus
Duffy Myrtetus maintains a diverse practice focused in business transactions, real estate, and commercial litigation matters. His clients include institutional lenders and investors, real estate investment trusts, developers, loan servicers, property managers, underwriters, brokers, and other stakeholders in matters related to planning, entitlement, development, financing, mortgage banking, title claims, loan workouts, foreclosures, receiverships, and related transactions and litigation. His experience also includes all aspects of commercial leasing transactions, historic tax credit financings, and public-private partnerships. He also regularly acts as local Virginia counsel for national transaction clients.
In his commercial litigation practice, he handles matters including title insurance claims, forfeiture proceedings, fraudulent conveyances, boundary line disputes, partition, construction disputes, and related claims. Additionally, Duffy assists developers in community association law matters, including the formation of condominiums and other common interest projects for both residential and nonresidential owners, and counsels owner’s and homeowners’ associations. In addition, Duffy maintains an estates and trusts practice, handling estate and trust planning and administration as well as fiduciary claim litigation and ancillary administration in Virginia and Florida. He currently serves as a member of the Florida Bar’s Board of Governors.
- Virginia Bar Association: Real Estate, Construction & Public Contracts, and Litigation Sections
- Florida Bar Association
- Board of Governors – Audit (Chair), Budget, Communications (Chair), Technology and special committees
- Real Property Trust and Probate Section;
- Out-of-State Division, Executive Council, Member and Past President (1996 – Present)
- Council of Sections, Former Member and Executive Council, Former Chair
- Richmond Bar Association: Real Estate (former Chair), Bankruptcy, and General Practice Sections
- Virginia Land Title Association
- Virginia Local Government Attorneys
- Greater Richmond Association of Real Estate
- Longwood University Real Estate Foundation, Board of Directors (2004 – Present)
- Virginia Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Starry Night Committee
- Little Sisters of the Poor, Thrifty Sisters Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition:
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Real Estate/Land Use
News and Insights
- “2021 Minimum Standard Detail Requirements for ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys,” The Fee Simple, the Journal of the Virginia State Bar Real Property Section, June 2021.
- “The New ALTA/ACSM Survey Standards—Two Views,” Fee Simple, newsletter of the Virginia State Bar Real Property Section, 2011.
- “Divine Mitigation and the Statute of Frauds: A broker’s prayer is answered – Part I,” Virginia Pilot, 2011.
- “Neighbor Law,” presenter, bi-annual seminar/webinar, VACLE, 2011-present.