David O. Twaddell
David Twaddell serves a wide range of public and private clients with their financing needs. Since 1981, acting as bond counsel, bank counsel, underwriters’ counsel, and special project counsel, he has managed public offerings and private placement of bonds and notes, bank loans, industrial and commercial development projects, and state and federal grants and loans. His experience includes issuance of tax exempt and taxable general obligation bonds and notes and revenue based financing for the Commonwealth and its agencies and for municipalities, authorities, school districts, hospitals, colleges, retirement communities, and other nonprofit organizations, as well as for private manufacturing businesses. In addition to providing traditional finance structures, David has assisted clients in the development of innovative programs including bond pools, non-debt lease financing, and variable rate tender bonds and public private partnerships.
He is a past president of the Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers and served as a panelist for its seminars on federal tax and securities matters. He is currently a member of the General Law Committee of the National Association of Bond Lawyers and has served as a panelist for its municipal derivative products committee on interest rate swaps. He was retained by Pennsylvania House Appropriations Committee as an instructor to its staff on municipal bond issuance and assessing the fiscal consequences of proposed legislation. He served as member of a committee of bond lawyers advising the Pennsylvania Legislative Reference Bureau on amendments to the Municipality Authorities Law. Recently, he has represented Pennsylvania bond lawyers in testifying before the Pennsylvania Senate on proposed amendments to the Local Government Unit Debt Act then going on to work with the Senate staff to modify the amendments.
- Served as bond counsel for Pennsylvania Economic Development Financing Authority’s $59,530,000 Revenue Bonds (Presbyterian Senior Living Project) Series of 2021.
- Served as bond counsel for Lower Merion School District’s $24,785,000 General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2021.
- Served as special counsel to real estate development company negotiating interest rate swaps in connection with refinancing projects.
- Served as bond counsel for Northeastern York County Sewer Authority’s $10,000,000 Guaranteed Sewer Revenue Bond, Series of 2021.
- Served as bond counsel for Pennsylvania Economic Development Authority’s $92,530,000 Federally Taxable Governmental Lease Revenue and Revenue Refunding Bonds (Forum Place Project) Series of 2020.
- Served as bond counsel for the City of Allentown’s $15,720,000 General Obligation Notes, Series of 2020, and $12,460,000 Federally Taxable General Obligation Refunding Bonds, Series of 2019.
- Served as note counsel for $7,200,000 refunding and restructuring for East Nittany Valley Joint Municipal Authority wastewater system bonds with three several (not joint) municipal guarantees and self-liquidating debt proceedings.
- Served as note counsel for $10,000,000 bank qualified private placement university revenue note for DeSales University.
- Served as bank counsel for mixed income housing project of the Redevelopment Authority of the County of Lancaster composed of a $2,400,000 market rate housing revenue note and $1,600,000 low income housing revenue note for the Westminster Place at Ware Presbyterian Housing Corporation.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Non-Profit Organizations, Associate Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers, Past President and Charter Member
- Fort Hunter Board of Trustees, Chair
- Derry Township School District Trojan Foundation, Board Member
- Hershey Harrisburg Tourism Bureau, Past Board Member
- Dauphin Cumberland Perry Counties Mental Health Association, Past President
- Multiple Sclerosis Society Leadership Class
- United Way Allocations Committee for Homeless Shelters and Childcare
- Leadership Harrisburg, Inaugural Class
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2024 for Banking and Finance Law and Public Finance Law
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Have we Met? The Rules May Change but Quorums Are Here to Stay,” co-authored for the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association’s bi-monthly magazine, The Authority, October 2021.
- “Theories of Liability of Corporate Trustees; Standard of Care; Negligence versus Gross Negligence,” published in Quarterly Newsletter of the Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers.
- Regular presenter to Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers on federal securities and tax law issues.
- Presenter to National Association of Bond Lawyer’s annual Bond Attorneys Workshop on derivative financial products.
David and his wife, Karen, enjoy time with their four adult children and two grandsons. They enjoy run-walking for exercise, their two English Setters and Golden Doodle dogs, and traveling both domestically and abroad. David has recently renewed his interest in watercolor painting.