Christopher L. Perkins
Christopher Perkins practices in all aspects of bankruptcy, creditor’s rights, business reorganizations, receiverships, workouts, and commercial litigation. His bankruptcy practice involves the representation of Chapter 11 debtors, lenders and other secured creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees, receivers, lessors and vendors. Christopher’s commercial litigation experience includes the handling of cases involving the Uniform Commercial Code, lender liability, fraudulent conveyance and business torts, landlord-tenant disputes, construction and mechanic’s lien litigation, real estate litigation and commercial broker lien disputes, insurance coverage, and malpractice actions. He has significant trial and appellate experience as well as in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation.
- Receiver/Special Master in Securities and Exchange Commission v. Hitt, et. al., securities fraud civil and criminal cases pending in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Liquidation Trustee of LandAmerica Group, Inc.,in chapter 11 liquidation proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of LandAmerica Group, Inc.,in chapter 11 liquidation proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Potomac Supply Corporationin chapter 11 proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Ad Hoc Committee of Equity Security Holders of Penn Virginia Corporationin chapter 11 proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to various vendors in Avianca, LATAM Airlines, Sears, Holdings Corporation, and Purdue Pharma, L.P. chapter 11 proceedings in Southern District of New York.
- Counsel to various vendors in Hertz, Akorn, Freds, Inc., Insys Therapeutics, Inc., and Celadon Group, Inc.chapter 11 proceedings in the District of Delaware.
- Counsel to vendors and landlords in CEC Entertainment, Inc. (Chuck E. Cheese) and NPR International (Pizza Hut) chapter 11 proceedings in the Southern District of Texas.
- Counsel to Enterprise Services Caribe, LLC in Commonwealth of Puerto RicoTitle III proceedings in the District of Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to consortium of landlords and vendors in Chino’s, Inc. (J.Crew), Ascena (Ann Taylor), Toys “R” Us, Inc., Gymboree Group, Inc., Circuit City Stores, Inc., Movie Gallery, Inc.chapter 11 proceedings in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Debtor/Other Interested Party Representation
- Counsel to McKinsey & Company in Alpha Natural Resources, Inc.chapter 11 proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Debtor, Dominion Paving, Inc.,in chapter 11 proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Debtor, The Glebe, Inc.,in chapter 11 proceeding in the Western District of Virginia.
- Counsel to Peabody Energy in Patriot Coal Corporationchapter 11 proceeding in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar
- Richmond Bar Association: Judiciary and Finance Membership Committees
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Awards and Recognition:
- Listed in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2016-2020
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy: Business, 2013-2018
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2008-2012
- Listed in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights, 2009-2017
- Winner, 1997 McNeil Law Society Writing Competition
News and Insights
- “The Intersection of PPP Loans and Bankruptcy: The Road to Economic Viability Just Got Bumpier,” Eckert Seamans' Bankruptcy Alert May 12, 2020.