Adam M. Shienvold
Adam Shienvold focuses his practice on civil litigation and dispute resolution, with emphasis on commercial and business litigation; regulatory, administrative, and municipal litigation; product liability litigation, and personal injury defense. Adam also utilizes his more than 20 years of experience practicing in Central Pennsylvania and his involvement in the community as local counsel for matters pending in federal, state, and bankruptcy courts. Adam has been appointed as an arbitrator by the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas to arbitrate civil cases.
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of medical equipment manufacturer of claims of product defect and breach of warranty.
- Successfully defended major mortgage lender in predatory lending and RICO action in northeastern Pennsylvania.
- Successfully obtained judgment in excess of $500,000 against individual business owner for commercial seller of building products relating to consignment sale where defendant sold business and all assets, including consigned goods.
- Obtained summary judgment in a shareholder derivative action by disgruntled shareholder alleging improper transfer of voting rights and waste.
- Obtained preliminary injunction order in non-competition case involving sale of business assets and subsequent competitive conduct by minority shareholder.
- Obtained preliminary and permanent injunction in trademark infringement and non-competition action against terminated franchisees on behalf of a national service company.
- Successfully navigated dispute resolution between large nonprofit foundation and its affiliated public university.
- Co-counsel with Bridget Montgomery on successful defense of nationwide class action against an international vehicle rental company.
- Represent lenders and servicers in contested foreclosure litigation.
Product Liability and Defense Litigation
- Local Liaison Counsel for medical device multi-district litigation in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
- Represent multiple medical device manufacturers for product liability and injury claims in Pennsylvania state and federal courts.
- Represent major motorcycle manufacturer for product liability and injury claims in Pennsylvania state and federal courts.
- Pennsylvania counsel for international agricultural, construction, and forestry equipment manufacturer.
- Pennsylvania counsel for commercial kitchen equipment manufacturer.
- Obtained defense verdict in construction site injury case against manufacturing client by successfully proving plaintiff’s own negligence caused injuries.
- Successfully defended railroad maintenance machine manufacturer against product design defect claims where railroad worker traumatically amputated part of hand and alleged insufficient guarding by proving misuse by worker and railroad employer.
- Successfully defended industrial abrasive manufacturer against product liability claims involving sudden failure of grinding stone resulting injuries to two workers by proving misuse by user.
- Successfully defended personal care company against product liability claims involving consumer packaging and warnings.
- Successfully defended consumer goods company against product liability claims that product malfunctioned and caused fire that destroyed home and injured plaintiff and her children.
- Successfully defended industrial services client in commercial truck accident involving allegations of improper loading of cargo (settled for insignificant sum).
- Defended manufacturing client in industrial accident case involving allegations of improper transfer and handling of bulk liquid chemicals (settled for confidential sum).
- Defended manufacturing client in industrial accident case involving injury to independent contractor in energized machinery (settled during trial for confidential sum).
- Defended railroad equipment manufacturer in wildfire litigation in pacific northwest.
- Successfully mediated wrongful death case involving derailment of railroad maintenance of way equipment.
Administrative and Municipal Litigation
- Handled and successfully resolved inter-municipal litigation relating to agreements for handling and treatment of wastewater.
- Successfully defended civil rights action against civilian alleged to have conspired with local police (defense judgment with attorneys’ fees awarded on appeal).
- Has successfully represented builders, developers, and landowners in municipal and local land use litigation.
- Have successfully represented businesses and professional licensees before state administrative agencies and licensing boards, including the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue, State Ethics Commission, Pennsylvania Securities Commission, State Insurance Department, State Board of Nursing, State Board of Medicine, State Board of Veterinary Medicine, State Board of Accountancy, State Board of Education, State Board of Architects, Department of Labor and Industry, and Bureau of Commissions, Elections, and Legislation.
- Represent municipalities and municipal authorities in civil litigation, including inter-municipal disputes, disputes with contractors, and with federal and state agencies.
- Represented Borough in successful delay claim against contractor on public works project, resulting in significant settlement for the Borough.
- Represent municipality authority in delay claim against contractor on public works project.
- Represent developers in disputes with local municipalities and municipality authorities.
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2008 – 2012); Social Committee, Chair (2013)
- Dauphin County Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Section, Former Chair (2006)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association House of Delegates, Zone 3 Delegate (2012 – Present)
- Federal Bar Association
- DRI, Product Liability Committee, Marketing Chair (2017); Scaffolds, Cranes & Aerial Devices Specialized Litigation Group, Chair (2015-2016); Commercial Litigation Committee Member; Product Liability Steering Committee Member (2015 – Present)
- Appointed as an Arbitrator by the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas (2017 – 2018)
- Honorable William W. Lipsitt American Inn of Court, Founding Member and Barrister; Curriculum Committee, Chair (2011 – 2014); Secretary (2014 – Present)
- Arthritis Foundation Central Pennsylvania Board of Directors, (2005-10)
- Leadership Harrisburg Area (Class of 2005)
- Capital Area Soccer Association, youth soccer coach and manager (2014-present)
- Susquehanna Township School District, Policy Review Committee (2013-2014)
- Susquehanna Soccer Club, youth soccer coach and manager (2011-2014)
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Susquehanna Style magazine as a “Select Lawyer” in Central Pennsylvania (2015)
News and Insights
- “Pa. Lottery’s New Online Games Are Illegal, Casinos Say,” Law360, August 2018.
- “World Peace and Unification Sanctuary sued in trademark dispute,” Pennsylvania Record, August 2018.
- “Case Law Update,” DRI Product Liability Conference, 2018.
- “North American Litigation and Attorney/Client Privilege – What You Need to Know,” Metso Global Counsel Meeting, September 27, 2016.
- “Federal Rules Update: The 2015 Amendments,” presented for the Dauphin County Bar Association continuing legal education seminar, March 22, 2016.
- “Case Law Update,” DRI Product Liability Conference, April 4, 2013.
- “Trying a Case in State Court (From Start to Finish),” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s continuing legal education seminar, June 19, 2012.