Massachusetts Paid Family Medical Leave Law: Upcoming Deadlines and Helpful Links
June 3, 2019
1. Determine Eligibility for and Apply for Exemption: Before December 20, 2019
- Applications for Q1 2019 exemption can be made from April 29, 2019 – December 20, 2019.
- Review FAQ and video tutorial for requesting an exemption: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/frequently-asked-questions-paid-family-and-medical-leave-exemption-requests
- Apply for exemption electronically through MassTaxConnect: https://mtc.dor.state.ma.us/mtc/_/
Before you apply, make sure you have the following:
- A copy of your qualifying private plan(s).
- If you are self-insuring, proof of your bond coverage
2. Notify Your Workforce by September 30, 2019
- Before September 30, 2019, post the PFML workplace poster on your premises, in a highly visible place. Posters are available for download at: https://www.mass.gov/lists/paid-family-and-medical-leave-downloads-for-massachusetts-employers
- By September 30, 2019, provide written notice of contributions, benefits, and workforce protections to each individual in your workforce. Notice must be in the individual’s primary language. Links to downloadable form notices – including translations into other languages – are at: https://www.mass.gov/lists/paid-family-and-medical-leave-downloads-for-massachusetts-employers
- Have each covered individual in your workforce sign an acknowledgement that they received the written notice, and collect all signed acknowledgements.
3. Begin Withholding Contributions by October 1, 2019
- Starting on July 1, 2019, you must begin deducting family and medical leave payroll contributions for all covered individuals in your workforce
- For guidance determining your covered workforce: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/counting-the-covered-individuals-in-your-workforce-under-the-pfml-law
- For guidance on determining your required contributions: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/calculate-your-paid-family-and-medical-leave-contributions
This Employment Law Alert is intended to keep readers current on matters affecting employment law and is not intended to be legal advice. If you have any questions, please contact Walter Foster at 617.342.6853 or firstname.lastname@example.org.