Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act – HIPAA
Eckert Seamans regularly advises clients on issues related to the privacy and security of health information under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), including compliance with the requirements of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act. We routinely design and implement compliance plans and performs audits for covered entities and business associates. In addition, our team can provide workforce training, perform breach assessment, and counsel on risk assessment and documentation.
Our clients include hospitals, physician organizations, long-term care facilities, educational institutions, software providers, pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, self-insured group health plans sponsored by employers, welfare benefit funds, and governmental plans.
- Perform audits of HIPAA compliance for covered entities and business associates.
- Provide, review, and negotiate business associate agreements and other HIPAA-compliant contracts for health care providers and group health plans, as well as business associates, subcontractors, and agents of such covered entities.
- Prepare HIPAA compliant security and privacy policies and procedures.
- Serve as HIPAA compliance counsel.
- Breach assessment and notification policies, procedures and counseling, including risk assessment and documentation.
- Advise on state privacy law compliance related to health care information.
- Provide workforce training.