Patricia S. Mahlstedt
Co-Chair, Hospitality & Gaming
Tricia Mahlstedt focuses her practice on hospitality law, representing hotel owners, developers, investors, and management companies. Her practice covers various aspects of hotel-related matters for clients whose properties are located throughout the United States as well as in international locations, including hotel acquisitions and sales, joint venture negotiations, financing matters, leases, management agreements, franchise and food and beverage operating agreements, and day-to-day hotel operational matters.
Previously, Tricia was an associate general counsel for six years at Interstate Hotels, the nation’s largest independent hotel management company. While serving in that capacity, Tricia’s practice covered general corporate transactional matters of the publicly-held company, including mergers and acquisitions as well as hotel operational matters. Specifically, Tricia had major responsibility in negotiation and administration of hotel management agreements, hotel acquisitions, joint ventures and financing transactions, and securities transaction and reporting matters.
Tricia also has several years of experience practicing general corporate and real estate law outside of the hospitality area, with experience in commercial lending transactions, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, and merger and acquisition transactions.
- Responsible for managing the firm’s role in serving as sole outside counsel for negotiation of all management agreements for the largest independent hotel management company for its US, United Kingdom and other international operations, including drafting and negotiation of agreements, as well as oversight of other members of the Hospitality Group.
- Representation of the largest independent hotel management company as investor and operator in joint venture transactions for the acquisition and development of multiple hotels throughout the United States, including negotiation of entity operating agreements, franchise agreements, management agreements, and loan documents.
- Representation of small to medium-sized hotel management companies in drafting and negotiation of management agreements, along with related matters.
- Responsible for coordination and oversight of other members of the Hospitality Group in review and negotiation of corporate-level and hotel-level service contracts, leases and other day-to-day operational matters.
- Representation of a hotel owner/developer in all aspects of its acquisition of nine limited-service hotels located in three different states, including the $55 million securitized loan financing, management agreements with the seller, and franchise and licensing matters.
- Representation of hotel owners and developers in negotiation of franchise agreements, management agreements, and various aspects of related transactions.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Reflections of Grace Foundation, Board Member
News and Insights
- Lodging Law Forum, panelist, 2016 Wyndham Hotel Group Global Conference, September 2016.
- “Addressing Today’s Important Issues in Franchised Hotel Systems, Both Operational and Contractual,” panelist, Third Annual Hotel & Lodging Legal Summit at Georgetown University Law Center, November 2014.
- “Hospitality: With Hotels, There’s More than Meets the Eye,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2013.
- “Like It or Not, Planners Must Weigh Risks and Legal Considerations at All Times,” Corporate and Incentive Travel Magazine, November 2016.