Patricia S. Mahlstedt
Tricia Mahlstedt focuses her practice on hospitality law, representing hotel management companies, owners, developers and investors. Her practice covers various aspects of hotel-related matters for clients whose properties are located throughout the United States as well as in international locations, including hotel management agreements and franchise agreements, lender subordination agreements, hotel acquisitions and sales, joint venture negotiations, financing matters, leases, food and beverage operating agreements, and day-to-day hotel operational matters.
Tricia has over 20 years of experience advising parties in the hotel industry, including six years as an associate general counsel at Interstate Hotels (then the nation’s largest independent hotel management company). While serving in that capacity, she had major responsibility in negotiation and administration of management agreements, acquisitions, joint ventures and financing transactions, securities matters and hotel operational matters. Tricia utilizes her years of experience, including experience outside the hospitality area in commercial lending, real estate and general corporate law, to provide practical legal advice to her clients to achieve their desired business results – whether that be closing the deal, asserting rights under a contract or navigating a real-time operational issue.
- Responsible for managing the firm’s role in serving as outside counsel for negotiation of all management agreements for the largest independent hotel management company for its US, United Kingdom and other international operations, including drafting and negotiation of agreements, as well as oversight of other members of the Hospitality Group.
- Representation of the largest independent hotel management company as investor and operator in joint venture transactions for the acquisition and development of multiple hotels throughout the United States, including negotiation of entity operating agreements, franchise agreements, management agreements, and loan documents.
- Representation of small to medium-sized hotel management companies in drafting and negotiation of management agreements, along with related matters.
- Advising hotel management companies on various operational matters, including contracts, leases, guest issues and contract disputes.
- Responsible for coordination and oversight of other members of the Hospitality Group in review and negotiation of corporate-level and hotel-level service contracts, leases and other day-to-day operational matters.
- Led coordination of significant due diligence review and response process for the largest independent hotel management company in multiple sale, acquisition and merger transactions.
- Representation of hotel owners and developers in single and multi-hotel acquisitions, including financing, management agreements, and franchise and licensing matters.
- Representation of hotel owners and developers in negotiation of franchise agreements, management agreements, and various aspects of related transactions.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Reflections of Grace Foundation, Board Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Leisure & Hospitality Law
News and Insights
- “Legal Overview of Transition Matters in a Hotel Management Company M&A Transaction,” Hotel Executive, December 2017.
- “Connect the Dots,” Lodging Magazine, November 2017.
- “Like It or Not, Planners Must Weigh Risks and Legal Considerations at All Times,” Corporate and Incentive Travel Magazine, November 2016.
- “Hotel Owners & COVID-19: Price Gouging Laws,” co-presented for the Asian American Hotel Owners Association, March 30, 2020.
- “Hotels and Price Gouging: What Hotel Companies Should Know,” co-presenter AAHOA Webinar, February 2018.
- “The Pittsburgh Hotel Boom: An Inside Perspective from Hospitality Lawyers,” co-presenter CREW Pittsburgh Members Lunch-n-Learn, January 2018.
- Lodging Law Forum, panelist, 2016 Wyndham Hotel Group Global Conference, September 2016.
- “Addressing Today’s Important Issues in Franchised Hotel Systems, Both Operational and Contractual,” panelist, Third Annual Hotel & Lodging Legal Summit at Georgetown University Law Center, November 2014.
- “Hospitality: With Hotels, There’s More than Meets the Eye,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2013.