Norman J. Kennard
Norman Kennard concentrates his practice in the areas of utilities, telecommunications, water/waste water, energy and administrative litigation.
Immediately prior to joining the firm, Norman served as a Commissioner at the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. During his time at the agency (2014-2019), he played key roles in many important cases, including the licensure of Uber and Lyft; the Commission’s response to the disruptive 2014 Polar Vortex, natural gas pipeline construction, electric transmission siting, deregulation of local telephone service, the PUC’s assertion of jurisdiction over pole attachments and the acquisition of municipal water and wastewater companies.
Norm long career in private practice encompasses thirty plus years (1983-2014, 2019- present) and has been extremely diverse affording him unique, multifaceted perspectives on the issues. He has covered consumer and utility issues in the gas, water, electric, water/wastewater and telephone sectors. He has experience across all regulated industries, in multiple forums, state and federal, regulatory and legislative, as well as litigation and appellate representation. His clients have ranged from rural electric companies to local exchange telephone companies to industrial customers to electric generators to natural gas producers to gas distribution companies to national trucking companies. During this time, he was heavily involved in shaping the successful implementation of the Pennsylvania natural gas transportation reforms (the precursor to the Natural Gas Choice Act), the Chapter 30 broadband infrastructure renewal legislation, and the negotiation of Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act and power generation contracts.
Norm began his career in public service, litigating public utility issues on behalf of consumers at the Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate (1979-1981).
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Public Utility Practice Section
News and Insights
- A Guide to Public Utility Ratemaking, co-author, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, February 2018.
- Distributed Energy Resources Rate Design and Compensation, contributing editor, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, November 2016.
- PA Senate Technology Committee, Testimony on Broadband Deployment Challenges, August 2019.
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) Utility Rate School, Presenter, “Legal Arts,” San Diego, CA, May 2019.
- NARUC Winter Meeting 2019, Moderator of Water/Wastewater Fair Value Panel, Washington, D.C., February 2019.
- National Association of Water Companies (NAWC) Annual Meeting, Panelist on Water Valuation Issues, San Antonio, TX, October 2018.
- PA House Broadband Committee, Testimony, September 2018.
- “Perspectives from the PUC,” speaker, Pennsylvania Telephone Association, July 2018.
- “Practicing Before the PUC,” presenter, PUC CLE, July 2018.
- PA Chamber Energy and Environmental Forum, speaker, May 2018.
- USCG Licensed Captain. Extensive blue water boat delivery to Caribbean. Owner of S/V Elysium in Annapolis MD.
- Other interests include reading history, world travel, and wine collection.
- Married to Anne Kennard for 30 years with two adult daughters, Lauren and Sara.