Michael R. Butler
Michael Butler assists local, regional, and national developers and non-profit entities in all aspects of real estate transactions and land development projects in New Jersey involving residential developments, mixed-use developments, industrial facilities, office complexes, shopping centers, and public utilities. He also obtains and defends land use approvals and franchise agreements for clients throughout the state.
His practice includes regular appearances before municipal, county, and state regulatory boards and agencies throughout New Jersey for zoning, subdivision, site plan, conditional uses, variances and environmental approvals, negotiation of real estate acquisitions, sales and leases, and performance of due diligence reviews.
In addition, Michael assists developers on community association law matters, including the formation of condominiums and other common interest projects for both residential and nonresidential owners and obtaining regulatory approvals from the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs under the Planned Real Estate Development Full Disclosure Act. He also counsels numerous homeowners’ associations, securing approvals from the State of New Jersey for governing documents, including public offering statements and master deeds and declarations of covenants, easements, and restrictions.
Michael serves as counsel for the Borough of Stockton. He is also New Jersey bail counsel for Accredited Surety & Casualty Co., Inc.
Michael is also an instructor and lecturer for the New Jersey Planning Officials and the New Jersey Builders Association, teaching seminars focused on New Jersey’s Municipal Land Use Law and Community Association Laws.
- Represented national and regional developers in securing approvals for the development of residential projects.
- Represented national and regional developers in the creation and the amendment of community associations.
- Represented client in purchase and development of industrial property.
- Represented non-profit client in securing land use approvals for use of property as a job-training facility.
- Represented client in securing approval for the expansion of an existing cemetery and the construction of mausoleums.
- Represented national client in securing land use approvals for the construction of billboards for outdoor advertisement and defended approvals in the New Jersey Courts.
- Represented local subsidiary of national utility company in securing additional franchise areas in New Jersey.
- Represented non-profit client in securing contract with a New Jersey municipality for the operation of an animal shelter.
- Represented national lending and servicing institutions in the collection of complex debt obligations.
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- New Jersey Planning Officials (Instructor)
- Jersey Shore Chamber of Commerce
- EASEL Animal Rescue, Board of Directors
- Wall Soccer Club, Coach (for daughter Quinn and son Owen)
News and Insights
- “The Era of the Eerily Silent Car is Upon Us,” Dimensions, the Newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, Winter 2021.
- “Community Associations,” panel presenter, The Atlantic Builders Convention Conference & Expo, October 2021.
- “New Legislation Requiring Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations in New Construction,” panel presenter at the New Jersey Builders Association’s Legislative and Regulatory Update, September 2020.
- “An Introduction to Planning and Zoning Law in the State of New Jersey,” New Jersey state-mandated training program on behalf of the New Jersey Planning Officials (NJPO), October 2014; April 2018; February 2019; April 2020; April 2021.
- “Variances: Proofs and Case Law,” panel presenter for the 104th Annual New Jersey State League of Municipalities Conference, November 2019.
- “Variances: Proofs and Case Law,” presented at the League of Municipalities Conference in Atlantic City, November 14, 2018.
- “Community Associations,” a panel presentation at the 69th Annual Atlantic Builder’s Convention, April 2018.
- “Variances: Proofs and Case Law,” New Jersey State League of Municipalities Annual Convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey, November 2016; November 2017.
- “Engineering Strategies & Cost Controls for Developers,” a panel presentation at the 67th Annual Atlantic Builders Convention, March 2016.
- “Planning and Zoning Board Members Certification Training,” New Jersey State League of Municipalities Annual Convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey, November 2014.