Michael R. Butler
Michael Butler assists local, regional, and national developers, religious organizations, private schools, and non-profit entities in all aspects of real estate transactions and land development projects in New Jersey involving residential developments, mixed-use developments, industrial facilities, office complexes, and shopping centers. He also obtains and defends land use approvals and franchise agreements for clients throughout the state.
His practice includes regular appearances before municipal, county, and state regulatory boards and agencies throughout New Jersey for zoning, subdivision, site plan, conditional uses, variances and environmental approvals, negotiation of real estate acquisitions, sales and leases, and performance of due diligence reviews.
In addition, Michael assists developers on community association law matters, including the formation of condominiums and other common interest projects (both residential and nonresidential) and obtaining regulatory approvals from the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs under the Planned Real Estate Development Full Disclosure Act. He also counsels numerous homeowners’ associations, securing approvals from the State of New Jersey for governing documents, including public offering statements and master deeds and declarations of covenants, easements, and restrictions.
Michael serves as counsel for the Borough of Stockton. He is also New Jersey bail counsel for Accredited Surety & Casualty Co., Inc.
Michael is an associate counsel, instructor and lecturer for the New Jersey Planning Officials. He teaching seminars focused on New Jersey’s Municipal Land Use Law and Community Association Laws for both the New Jersey Planning Officials and the New Jersey Builders Association.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in the acquisition and development of property in a redevelopment area in Hopewell, New Jersey that will be used for the company’s first research, development, and manufacturing facility in the United States.
- Represented international biorepository company in the leasing and developing property in Piscataway, New Jersey.
- Represented national and regional companies in securing approvals for the development of projects throughout the State of New Jersey.
- Real Estate Counsel for the Diocese of Trenton.
- Real Estate and Contractual Counsel for private co-ed boarding and day school.
- Represented national and regional developers in the creation and registration of community associations (both condominium association and homeowners associations) throughout the State of New Jersey.
- Represented client in purchase and development of industrial properties.
- Represented non-profit client in securing land use approvals for use of property in southern New Jersey to be used as a job-training facility.
- Secured approvals for the expansion of an existing cemetery and the construction of mausoleums/columbarium.
- Represented national outdoor advertising company in securing land use approvals for the construction of billboards (both static and digital) and defended approvals in the New Jersey Courts.
- Represented local subsidiary of national utility company in securing additional franchise areas in New Jersey.
- Represented non-profit client in securing contract with a New Jersey municipality for the operation of an animal shelter.
- Represented national lending and servicing institutions in the collection of complex debt obligations and the sale of secured property.
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- Real Estate and Land Use Committee
- Community Associations Committee
- New Jersey Planning Officials
- Associate Counsel
- Wall Township Democrats
- Monmouth County Committee – District 4
- EASEL Animal Rescue, Board of Directors (2016-2020)
- Wall Soccer Club, Coach (for daughter Quinn and son Owen)
News and Insights
- “The Era of the Eerily Silent Car is Upon Us,” Dimensions, the Newsletter of the New Jersey Builders Association, Winter 2021.
- “Community Associations,” panel presenter at the Atlantic Builders Convention Conference, 2018, 2021-2023.
- “Legal Trends in Land Use Law,” panel presenter at the Atlantic Builders Convention Conference, 2023
- “Resolutions and Decisions,” panel presenter at the annual New Jersey State League of Municipalities Conference, 2023.
- “An Introduction to Planning and Zoning Law in the State of New Jersey,” New Jersey state-mandated training program on behalf of the New Jersey Planning Officials (NJPO), October 2014; April 2018; February 2019; April 2020; April 2021.
- “New Legislation Requiring Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations in New Construction,” panel presenter at the New Jersey Builders Association’s Legislative and Regulatory Update, September 2020.
- “Variances: Proofs and Case Law,” panel presenter for the annual New Jersey State League of Municipalities Conference, 2017-2019.
- “Engineering Strategies & Cost Controls for Developers,” panel presenter at the Atlantic Builders Convention, 2016.
- “Planning and Zoning Board Members Certification Training,” New Jersey State League of Municipalities Annual Convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey, November 2014.