Mark L. Reardon
Chair, Executive Committee
Board of Directors
Mark Reardon on Mass Tort Litigation
Mark Reardon, co-chair of Eckert Seamans' Mass Tort Litigation Group and a member of the firm's Wilmington office, discusses the challenges of coordinating defense strategies in cases such as asbestos litigation, which takes place in multiple jurisdictions.WATCH VIDEO
Mark Reardon’s practice involves a broad range of matters in civil litigation in state and federal courts in Delaware and Pennsylvania. Mark represents companies, owners, individuals, nonprofit organizations, and insurers in matters ranging from product liability, personal injury, construction and environmental disputes, and toxic tort, including all aspects of asbestos litigation.
In connection with civil litigation filed under Delaware’s Child Victims Act, Mark currently leads the defense team in Delaware that represents churches, schools, and youth organizations in the defense of lawsuits alleging institutional liability for acts of childhood sexual abuse. In addition to his litigation practice, Mark has extensive experience in representing and advising nonprofits in governance matters.
- Lead counsel for churches, schools, and nonprofit youth organizations in litigation resulting from allegations of childhood sexual abuse.
- Serves as national coordinating counsel for pharmaceutical and chemical company in premises liability, environmental, and asbestos cases with direct supervisory responsibility for litigation pending in six states.
- Lead counsel for prime defendant in construction litigation resulting from the roof collapse at the Borders Book Store in Newark, Delaware.
- Lead litigation counsel for regional accounting firm in defense of negligence allegations in context of a pre-merger audit prepared for an industrial manufacturing client.
- Lead counsel for a highway construction contractor alleged to have negligently designed and built a railroad grade crossing resulting in quadruple fatality.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of HIV+ dentist from claims of medical negligence and battery by former patients. Lead counsel for discovery, briefing, and oral argument before Delaware Supreme Court.
- Lead counsel for briefing and oral argument before Third Circuit Court of Appeals on matter establishing that UIM claimant was collaterally estopped from litigating issue of damages in UIM arbitration following a jury verdict.
- Lead defense counsel for defendant pharmaceutical company in trial involving elevator failure and resulting personal injuries.
- Successfully represented nonprofit employer in defense of wrongful termination claims. Lead counsel for trial and post-trial briefing and oral argument.
- Serves as school counsel for legal matters involving tax exempt bond issue, business and construction contracts, litigation, real estate, and administrative and personnel issues.
- Served as legal counsel and legislation drafter for 136th and 137th Delaware State House of Representatives.
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member and Delaware Membership Chair
- Delaware State Bar Association (Sections on Litigation and Torts & Insurance Practice)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Delaware Supreme Court, Board on Professional Responsibility, Former Member (2004-2010)
- Board of Delaware River Pilot Commissioners, Commissioner (2014 – present)
- Ministry of Caring, Inc. Board of Trustees, President and Member (2002 – present)
- Salesianum School Board of Trustees, Vice Chair and Counsel (1995 – present)
- St. Francis Hospital Board of Trustees, Vice Chair and Counsel (2000-2009)
- St. Thomas More Executive Committee, Member (1996 – present)
- Boston College Alumni Admissions Program , Member (1983 – present)
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2023 for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants; Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants; Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Recipient of the 2013 Msgr. Paul J. Taggart St. Thomas More Award
- Selected for inclusion as a Delaware Super Lawyer
- Selected for inclusion as a Top Lawyer in Delaware
- Salesianum School Hall of Fame, inducted 2016
News and Insights
- “Catholics in careers: He sees practicing law and his faith as one and the same,” The Dialoge, February 2013.
- “My Old Man and the Sea: The Life and Law of Ship Piloting,” Delaware Lawyer, Spring 1993.
- “Eckert Seamans Adds 9 Attorneys in Wilmington Office,” Delaware Law Weekly, May 23, 2012.
- “Eckert Seamans Announces New Chief Executive Officer and Executive Committee Transitions,” April 2023.
- “Crisis Management for Non-Profits: Bad Things Happen to Good Non-Profits,” moderator, Carpenter-Walsh Delaware Pro Bono Inn of Court, December 2015.
- “Fundamentals of Superior Court Civil Litigation,” Delaware State Bar Association Annual Seminar, March, 1995-2006.
- “Trial in Delaware’s Superior Court,” National Business Institute Annual Seminar, 1998-2005.