Lawrence R. Kulig
Larry Kulig has over 25 years of broad commercial litigation experience with a particular focus on disputes involving partnerships and closely held businesses, breach of contract, fiduciary duty claims, and defense of defamation/discrimination suits. A large part of Larry’s practice also includes lender/borrower disputes, particularly those involving multifamily, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), and equity deals. He also has significant experience in shareholder litigation as well as real estate, corporate, and trademark-related litigation, including claims involving First Amendment and intellectual property rights on the Internet. In addition, Larry is a professionally accredited arbitrator, affiliated with the American Arbitration Association, to handle commercial and business disputes.
He has significant jury and bench trial experience and approximately 20 reported decisions on Westlaw and has argued before the Massachusetts Appeals Court, Supreme Judicial Court, and appellate courts in other states. Larry is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution as an arbitrator and mediator. In 2017, Larry was retained as an arbitrator in a high profile AAA dispute involving multiple affordable housing projects across New York City, which he helped settle.
Larry’s representative clients include software companies, local, and national financial institutions, real estate partnerships, insurance carriers, and one of the nation’s largest nonprofit providers of social services. Most recently, Larry has also been representing court-appointed receivers assisting the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office of Abandoned Housing Initiative. He was also recognized with the 2017 Villanova Law School alumni award for public service for his decades of work ranging from support of affordable housing initiatives to inner city schools and student-athletes to civics oriented programs and veterans groups.
- Representation of national multifamily mortgage company in multimillion-dollar litigations and bankruptcies across multiple states, including appointment of receivers, injunctive relief, and other remedies, arising from defaults in portfolio of apartment property loans.
- Appointed as arbitrator on a high-profile dispute involving the control of hundreds of units of multifamily housing. The dispute, which involved real estate partnerships across New York and New Jersey, was resolved in an expedited timeframe.
- Successful defense in federal court of national secondary mortgage company in highly publicized lawsuit by the attorney general of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, alleging violations and non-compliance with state foreclosure laws; these claims were dismissed by district court.
- Representation of national tax credit syndicators in enforcing rights under limited partnership agreements, including removal of general partners, enforcement of guarantees arising from recapture events, and dismissal of claims alleging bad faith in multiple jurisdictions, including Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Texas, and Tennessee.
- Successful defense of prominent Boston businessmen in simultaneous litigation and arbitration proceedings against claims by manager in corporate charter jet business alleging substantial monies owed to venture, including assertion of counterclaims against manager arising from diversion of corporate opportunities.
- Representation of national denomination in litigation against local disaffiliating church, infiltrated by former members of criminal enterprise, over control of church’s $40 million in assets, resulting in rulings by both Massachusetts Appeals Court and Supreme Judicial Court, and subsequent investigation and criminal proceedings by FBI.
- Pursuit of claims by leading higher education software and e-learning solutions company for trademark infringement arising from alleged misuse of company’s mark in critic’s website code and metatags, involving novel issues and interplay of First Amendment rights on the Internet.
- Successful seven-figure recovery for former limited partners, after sale of their shares on multiple affordable housing deals, against general partner for monies recovered by him on account of partnership in a lawsuit never disclosed pre-sale.
- Successful defense of numerous insureds, including owners and secured lenders, under title insurance policies, including dismissal of claims arising from foreclosure rescue schemes, alleged forgeries of documents, and adverse possession claims.
- Cost-effective complete defense of claims against purchaser of investment property and its lender by foreclosed prior owner, including summary judgment for lender and trial verdict for purchaser.
- Invited to assist attorney general and municipalities in abandoned housing initiative through representation of court-appointed receivers to repair, renovate, and sell abandoned properties and return them to useful purpose on tax rolls.
- Arbitrator affiliated with the American Arbitration Association
- Villanova Law School Alumni Association, President of the New England Chapter
- Villanova Business Society, Founding Member
- Lafayette College Alumni Association, Board Member
- Generation Citizen, Board Member and Instructor
- World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., Former Trustee
- Assistant Coach to student-athletes, sharing his experience as a former champion runner
- Cathedral High School (Springfield, Massachusetts), Trustee
- Boston Public Schools, Former Tutor
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Larry is an extremely active and loyal alumnus of Villanova Law School, Lafayette College, and Cathedral High School in Springfield, Massachusetts. He holds numerous leadership positions and hosts alumni events regularly at his office. He also dedicates significant time to community service, including work with veterans, tutoring and coaching inner-city student athletes, and supporting inner-city parishes and parochial schools. Recently, Larry has become active with Generation Citizen, a national civics focused nonprofit encouraging and working with youths to become active citizens and affect positive change in their local communities.