Jason S. Feinstein
Jason Feinstein focuses his practice in complex civil litigation with an emphasis on the defense of professionals, including attorneys, insurance agents and brokers, accountants, and other licensed professionals. He also practices in the defense of significant premises liability and personal injury lawsuits for both insurance companies and self-insured clients. In the area of professional malpractice, Jason routinely represents attorneys in the defense of legal malpractice, fiduciary breaches, and fraud in the handling of matters including civil litigation, commercial transactions, matrimonial litigation, real estate, bankruptcy, trusts and estates, and criminal law. His representation of insurance professionals involves claims including failure to obtain insurance, insufficient limits of coverage, and failure to properly advise.
He provides consulting and advisory services to attorneys and other professionals in the areas of legal ethics, risk management, and professional liability, and counsels professionals with an eye toward avoiding litigation and minimizing risk. Jason also represents insurance companies in coverage litigation and disputes. Jason has been defending clients against claims of premises liability and personal injury for 20 years. These cases include slips and falls in stores, hotels, and residences; automobile accidents; and workplace injuries. Jason also defends product manufacturers in product liability actions.
In addition, Jason’s practice includes complex class actions, including claims involving the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”), federal securities laws, and various consumer protections laws such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). He also defends multi-district litigations, including claims involving medical drugs and devices. In Jason’s general civil litigation practice, he represents companies, their principals, directors, and officers in all facets of commercial litigation. He appears extensively in state and federal courts on both the trial and appellate levels.
- Successful defense of an attorney in a legal malpractice action by way of summary judgment arising from representation of a client in a matrimonial action, including obtaining unpaid legal fees.
- Successful defense of an attorney in a legal malpractice action by way of summary judgment arising from representation of a client in a minority shareholder dispute, including affirmance on appeal.
- Successful defense of a debt collection law firm in a putative class action lawsuit pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Successful defense of an attorney in a securities dispute before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
- Successful defense of multiple attorneys in class action lawsuits alleging mishandling of employment discrimination claims.
- Successful defense of an attorney in a legal malpractice action by way of voluntary dismissal involving claim that attorney failed to comply with New Jersey Tort Claims Act.
- Successful defense of an insurance producer in a malpractice action by way of summary judgment against a claim that insufficient coverage limits were procured.
- Successful defense of an insurance producer in a malpractice action by way of summary judgment against a claim that a policy exclusion did not afford coverage.
- Representation of insurance producers in numerous actions involving major storm events and claims of inadequate insurance arising from Hurricanes Sandy and Irene.
- Defense of premises owners, including supermarkets, department stores, hotels and casinos, in premises liability actions.
- Representation of world’s largest carpet and wood floor company in product liability, negligence, and commercial litigation matters.
- Representation of bankruptcy trustee in fraudulent transfer, preference, and avoidance actions.
- Defense of medical device and drug manufacturers in product liability actions.
- Mercer County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Professional Liability Section
- Risk Management Society
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
News and Insights
- “Survey of Significant Attorney Professional Liability Decisions of the Past Year,” Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2013.
- Insurance Agents & Brokers of New Jersey (IIABNJ) presentations for insurance agent and broker continuing education and recent developments in errors and omissions case law.
Outside of work, Jason is involved in youth sports as both a coach and parent. He is passionate about audio books and is always on the lookout for his next great read. Jason is also always ready to take a road trip to an out-of-the-way hole-in-the-wall restaurant featured on food television shows for a great taco, doughnut, or slice of pizza.