Gregory A. Weingart
Chair, Business Counseling, Financial Transactions and Mergers and Acquisitions
Greg Weingart helps clients buy, sell, invest in, and finance various businesses and properties. As a transactional attorney for more than 25 years, Greg has worked with clients on a wide variety of commercial transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, financings, reorganizations, and joint ventures. He has assisted with all aspects of negotiating, documenting, and closing the deal.
Greg’s accounting degree and business background as well as his in-house experience enables him to provide practical business and legal advice to clients with respect to their transactional and operational matters. He not only identifies issues for clients, but provides sound business advice and presents practical solutions with respect to those issues and works with clients and other professionals to remove impediments to completing the transaction. Greg often leads a team of multi-disciplined Eckert Seamans attorneys in facing the challenges of a complex transaction and meeting a client’s needs. Greg represents clients engaged in a wide range of industries, including hospitality, entertainment and media, energy, education, manufacturing, retail, software, construction, and private equity investors.
- Represents hotel owners and operators in a wide range of transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, development projects, financings, and workouts.
- Represents both privately and publicly-held clients involved in complex domestic and international transactions.
- Represents clients on various other corporate and securities matters, including restructurings, financings and public and private offerings of equity and debt securities.
- Provides general business counseling to many clients in such areas as the formation and administration of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, joint ventures, and other entities and the negotiation, review, and drafting of a wide range of contracts, including employment and non-compete contracts, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, and management agreements.
- Served as General Counsel for a privately held family office specializing in investment management across various asset classes, including hotels.
- Represented privately held real estate company acquire, finance, and refinance multiple hotels.
- Represented a hotel management company in connection with various joint ventures and investments in hotel ownership entities.
- Represented large institutional client in connection with the acquisition of downtown Pittsburgh office and hotel buildings.
- Represented large financial group in connection with sale of seven full-service hotels.
- Represented family office in connection with various hotel acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financings, and property development projects.
- Represented large international hotel management company in connection with various joint venture formations and acquisitions, and in connection with acquisitions in the United Kingdom.
- Represented large institutional investors in connection with the sale of multiple hotels.
- Represented multiple developers in connection with all aspects of hotel developments, including private placements for equity raises.
- Represented technology company in connection with the sale of one of its operating divisions.
- Represented non-profit environmental oversight organization in connection with the creation of its commercial agreements.
- Represented local utility company in connection with the sale of its landfill gas business and various energy plants.
- Represented construction company in connection with various add-on acquisitions.
- Represented investors in assisted living facilities acquire, finance, and refinance multiple facilities.
- Represented family office in connection with the acquisition of a private wealth management business.
- Represented investors in connection with the formation of a mortgage origination business.
- Represented owners of a restaurant in connection with the sale of that restaurant.
- Represented manufacturing company in connection with various joint venture agreements, real estate leases, supply agreements, and other commercial contracts.
- Represented national spa services company in connection with its private placement for equity raise.
- Represented public company in connection with numerous acquisitions, dispositions and financings of retail stores and business in the entertainment, music, and movie industries.
- Represented multiple public and private companies in connection with numerous acquisitions, dispositions and financings of radio stations, television stations, newspapers, and other media outlets.
- Represented owners of a private technical school in connection with the sale of the school.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Certified Public Accountant
- The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2002 – Present)
- Riverview Towers Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Past Board President. This nonprofit operates an affordable apartment complex for independent seniors
- United Jewish Federation, Board of Directors (2011-2014)
- PowerLink, advisor to several women-owned businesses (2004 – 2007)
Awards and Recognition:
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1987
B.S., with highest honors, University of Illinois, 1984; Bronze Tablet, university’s highest recognition for academic excellence