Douglas J. Seftas
Doug Seftas concentrates his practice in the area of general civil litigation with a particular emphasis on electronic discovery, mass tort litigation and product liability matters. He represents Fortune 500 companies and other clients in complex litigation matters and advises on e-discovery and information management issues. Doug’s engagements typically involve assessing the volume of data related to the matter; identifying the best process for preservation, collection and document review; serving as the client’s discovery counsel in large matters; establishing review protocols and a quality control process for the document review; creating a sufficient and defensible privilege log; and handling all other aspects of the discovery process. A significant segment of Doug’s practice is devoted to the management of Eckert Seamans’ discovery team, which is comprised of contract personnel with a wide range of subject matter specialties tailored to the needs of the firm’s clients. The group provides litigation support services for document review projects of all sizes, with special emphasis on attorney-client privilege and work product issues. Doug oversees the preparation of privilege logs for thousands of documents, and also counsels clients on the defense of challenges to the attorney-client privilege in litigation. He manages the daily workflow of these projects in order to ensure quality, cost effectiveness and timely completion.
- Handles antitrust litigation discovery matters for an international polymer manufacturer.
- Handles antitrust litigation discovery matters for a dental tool and diagnostic provider.
- Handles litigation discovery matters involving the Department of Justice and Security and Exchange Commission.
- Handles litigation discovery matters for a leading financial services provider.
- Serves on a team of attorneys acting as coordinating discovery counsel for a multinational pharmaceutical company in complex product liability, patent, regulatory, and commercial litigation matters.
- Counsels an international medical device company in commercial litigation matters.
- Handles litigation discovery matters for a regional water refining company in the fracking industry.
- Counsels on consumer litigation discovery matters for a national food producer.
- Handles discovery issues arising out of product liability matters for a national manufacturer of highway safety products.
- Represents a financial services provider in residential foreclosure actions through all stages of litigation to sale of property. Also handles loss mitigation workouts including Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) mediation, deeds in lieu of foreclosure and short sales.
- Investigation and preparation of responses to written discovery pleadings in class action lawsuits.
Doug is a competitive amateur golfer and has competed in many regional tournaments, including the West Penn Amateur, Fred Brand Foursomes, Tri-State PGA Amateur, and Tri-State Open as well as many charity golf outings.