Daniel A. Glass
Dan Glass is a seasoned litigator whose practice encompasses business and commercial litigation, consumer financial services, real estate and appellate law. As a complement to his litigation practice, he frequently provides real estate, employment, franchise, and general business advice to small businesses, nonprofits and franchisees.
Business and Commercial Litigation. Dan represents individual business owners and companies ranging in size from small, closely-held businesses to publicly-traded entities, handling a wide range of business and customer disputes involving contract, franchise and licensing, real estate, lender liability, warranty, fiduciary duty, fraud, unfair trade and deceptive business practices, tortious interference, and insurance coverage case in state courts, federal courts and alternate dispute resolution. In addition to his commercial practice, Dan defends individuals, companies and insureds in the defense of products liability, premises liability, medical malpractice and other tort claims.
Small Business and Franchise Counseling. Dan’s experience in litigating cases to successful conclusions enables him to bring a unique and practical problem solving perspective to a broad range of legal challenges and opportunities. He has served as a legal advisor to a number of franchisor, franchisee, and other business clients in a variety of industries including hotels, restaurants, retail, activity centers, and consultants. In this role, he advises clients and negotiates a variety of contract matters, buy-sell agreements, restrictive covenants, partnership agreements, and consulting agreements. Dan frequently represents borrowers in connection with commercial loans, specifically SBA loans.
Nonprofit Counseling. In addition to his business related clients, Dan has a long history of advising various nonprofits, including community associations, educational institutions and community development institutions on a variety of issues including but not limited to contract disputes, compliance issues, employment issues and general business advise.
Commercial and Residential Real Estate. Dan represents sellers, purchasers, lessors and lessees in all aspects of commercial as well as residential real estate transactions in Maryland and Washington D.C.
Consumer Financial Services. Dan has considerable experience representing lenders, investors, mortgage loan servicers, and financial institutions in various types of consumer financial services litigation. Mainly as lead counsel, Dan has handled hundreds of consumer financial services matters in state, federal and bankruptcy courts. Dan’s financial services experience includes disputes involving loan servicing, contested foreclosures and evictions, lender liability, mortgage lending and fraud, alleged predatory lending, credit reporting, and claims including code violation matters, condominium, tax and other priority liens, receivership, bankruptcy, real estate, partition, and title matters, among others. Dan has litigated and defended matters arising under the full range of laws and statutes regulating the consumer finance industry, such as the Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Dan has also defended banks with respect to consumer banking claims.
- Counsels and defends various Common Ownership Communities, educational institutions and nonprofits charitable organizations on compliance, business, employment and related issues.
- Reviews and analyzes contracts and other agreements for franchise or licensing issues;
- Counsels and advises small businesses and franchisees on real estate matters, contract disputes, employment issues, and other business issues;
- Defends insureds and self-insureds in third-party insurance litigation before state and federal courts involving products liability, premises liability, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misrepresentation, and other business torts;
- Represents mortgage lenders and servicers in various litigation matters, including contested foreclosures, borrower disputes and title matters;
- Defends international airlines in commercial and employment litigation in federal courts, as well as passenger and cargo claims under the Warsaw and Montreal Conventions;
- Represents various business entities including nationwide financial institutions, manufacturers, hotel management companies, property management companies, media and communication firms, government contractors, builders, construction companies, and a national recruitment firm.
Awards and Recognition:
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Second Draw Loans and Other PPP Updates in New Covid Relief Bill,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, December 22, 2020.
- “Small Business Assistance Options Available under the CARES Act,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, March 27, 2020.