Craig Waksler concentrates his practice primarily on the defense of asbestos and mass tort litigation matters and the defense of personal injury and property damage cases. He represents a large number of asbestos defendants in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, though he also represents companies throughout the United States that range from Fortune 500 manufacturing companies to small supply houses that manufacture/sell fluid sealing products, pumps, valves, boilers, brakes, and marine engines.
Craig also has significant litigation experience in matters concerning environmental pollution, dram shop, consumer protection, product liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, and civil rights. In addition, he has significant experience in insurance coverage matters and has provided counsel to many of the country’s leading domestic insurance companies. He also has experience representing financial and energy institutions in regulatory and litigation matters.
Craig has represented clients in numerous courts throughout the country, including the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire; U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; and U.S. District Court for the District of Utah. In addition, he has appeared before state courts in Connecticut, Delaware, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Utah.
- Serves as national coordinating counsel for two international boiler companies in asbestos litigation matters.
- Represented two defendants in the Rhode Island Supreme Court forum non conveniens Kedy decision, which resulted in the dismissal of a large number of asbestos cases that had no nexus to Rhode Island and the adoption of forum non conveniens as a doctrine in Rhode Island.
- Served as co-counsel for a defendant in an asbestos litigation trial in 2007 that resulted in a defense verdict. This was the first Massachusetts asbestos case to try to verdict in over 10 years.
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- Zervas After School Program, President and Board Member
- Zervas Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization, Legal Counsel and Board Member
- Windsor Club of Newton, Massachusetts, Past President and Board Member
- Newton Southeast Little League, Board Member and Volunteer Coach
- Newton Athletic Association Basketball, Volunteer Coach
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Third Circuit Rules Maritime Negligence Claims May Survive ‘Bare Metal’ Defense,” co-author, Westlaw Journal Asbestos, February 2018.
- “An Overview of Massachusetts Asbestos Litigation,” co-author, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Newsletter, January 2012.
- “Dram Shop Liability in the New England States,” co-presenter, Boston Association of Claims Executives (BACE) Spring Claims Conference, March 2018.
- “Personal jurisdiction issues and defending employers against product-liability claims,” co-presenter, Allianz Resolution Management US, September 2017.
- Annual Meeting of the Massachusetts Defense Lawyer Association, conference co-chair and opening remarks, June 2017.
- “Panel Discussion on Emerging Trends in Billing,” presented at the 2016 Annual Meeting of the Massachusetts Defense Lawyer Association, May 2016.
- “The Garlock Story,” co-presenter, Asbestos Litigation Seminar hosted by multiple law firms, May 2014.
- “Fall out of Law v. Griffith: Addressing Medical Expenses in Discovery and Trial Admissibility Issues,” Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting and Spring Seminar in Boston, May 2014.
- “In-House Corporate and Insurer Panel on Financial & Legal Decisions, Managing Claims, Lowering Defense Costs and Settlement Negotiations,” moderator and panel member, American Conference Institute’s 14th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, June 2013.
- “The Navy Cases: Bolstering Your Case from Discovery Through Trial,” American Conference Institute’s Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, January 2013; January 2012.
- “Massachusetts and Rhode Island Asbestos Primer,” presented to various insurance companies, 2010; 2011.
- “Medicare and the MMSEA Act,” Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, May 2010.
- “Mid Year Update: The Ever-Evolving Asbestos Litigation Landscape and Current Trends Setting the Future of Claims,” American Conference Institute’s Asbestos Claims, June 2009.
- “Considering Trial Admissibility During Discovery,” Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, May 2009.