Christopher E. Torkelson
Chris Torkelson practices in the area of general commercial litigation, regularly appearing in both federal and state court. He represents clients in a variety of complex litigation and business matters in connection with products liability and personal injury defense; construction; land use; drugs and medical devices, including design/manufacturing defect and failure to warn claims; copyright and patent infringement; environmental law; multidistrict/class actions; equine law; professional liability; estate litigation; municipal public records; and pro bono inmate advocacy.
Chris also represents clients in a variety of matters before the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, and before state agencies, including the Office of Administrative Law, Department of Labor, Department of Human Services, Department of Community Affairs, and Department of Treasury, State Commission of Investigations; and Board of Public Utilities. He also represents a variety of clients regarding state and federal horse and harness racing laws and regulations. Chris has represented several Atlantic City casinos and non-gaming casino service industries in licensing and regulatory matters before the New Jersey Casino Control Commission.
- Obtained a favorable verdict in a breach of contract action seeking specific performance and damages in excess of $5.78 million against a developer;
- Represented community residents in a successful challenge of a municipal historic preservation ordinance;
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing putative class action against builder for alleged construction defects;
- Successfully represented distributor of chemical products against claim for personal injuries allegedly relating to failure to warn;
- Defends manufacturers in product liability litigation involving alleged personal injuries and property damage, including successful outcomes in federal and state courts;
- Frequently represents builders, developers and property owners in litigation involving land use, breach of contract, construction defects, planned developments and other issues;
- Defended pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in products liability litigation, including successful outcomes in multi-district and consolidated tort litigation;
- Represents landlords and tenants in litigation matters involving commercial leases;
- Counsels attorney and agent clients in professional liability litigation;
- Successfully represented horse owners and breeders, as well as other industry clients, in litigation matters and in connection with regulatory matters involving horse and harness racing.
- Mercer County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- The Marcus Lowes Memorial Charitable Trust, Trustee and General Counsel
- Board of Trustees, Good Counsel, Inc.
- Boy Scouts of America, Pack 3 (Plainfield, New Jersey), Committee Member
News and Insights
- “The Highlands Act Under Siege,” co-author, Dimensions, November 2008.
- “A Practitioner’s Guide to Set-off and Recoupment,” co-author, New Jersey Lawyer, December 2003.
- “Speedy Approvals Can Count,” co-author, Casino Journal, December 2000.
- “Fee Award Shows Risks of Exposing Threadbare Patents to Light of Litigation,” New Jersey Law Journal, October 20, 2008.