Timothy P. Ryan
Tim Ryan focuses his practice primarily on the litigation of intellectual property and business tort disputes. He has represented a wide variety of clients in matters involving patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition claims, licenses and franchises. Tim is one of the attorneys who represented petitioners in the landmark Markman case at trial and before the Federal Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States. The case involved the constitutional right to jury trial of disputes involving the construction of patent claim terms.
Tim also has a broad range of experience in commercial, business and regulatory litigation, involving matters such as contracts, RICO, securities fraud and toxic exposure issues. He has represented litigants and tried cases to verdict in various state and federal courts across the country and before state and federal administrative agencies.
Tim is the immediate past Chief Executive Officer of Eckert Seamans, having served on both the firm’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors. During the twelve years that Tim served as the CEO, the firm experienced tremendous growth and stability, nearly doubling its size to approximately 400 lawyers with fourteen offices in ten states and the District of Columbia.
- Litigated a wide variety of intellectual property disputes.
- Represented petitioners in the landmark Markman case (which involved the constitutional right to jury trial of disputes involving the construction of patent claim terms) at trial and before the Federal Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Represented a wide variety of clients in matters involving allegations of securities fraud, shareholders rights matters, SEC investigations of insider trading and forfeiture proceedings, litigation resulting from “go private” transactions and the representation of publicly-traded entities in connection with the defense of hostile takeover efforts.
- Tried cases in numerous federal and state courts across the country.
- Tried cases before administrative agencies and arbitration panels.
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Gender Equality Task Force
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Saint Vincent College, Board Member
- Duquesne Club, Board Member
- Pennsylvania Economy League, Member
- Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts, Board Member
- American Inns of Court, Master, Intellectual Property Chapter
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as Best Lawyers 2019 Litigation – Intellectual Property “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property; Commercial, Patent, and Securities Litigation
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2014 “Lawyer of the Year for Patent Litigation” in Pittsburgh
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2016 “Lawyer of the Year for Securities Litigation” in Pittsburgh
- Member of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in Irish Legal 100 for 2011 through 2016
- Selected for inclusion in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000 – World’s Leading Patent Practitioners for Patent Litigation
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “ CEO Tim Ryan discusses changes in the Pittsburgh legal market with The Legal Intelligencer , ” June 2015.
- “Do You Know How to Protect What’s Yours?” IPWatchdog.com, August 13, 2017.
- “Big Law Feeling Freer to Advertise Medical Marijuana Practices,” The Legal Intelligencer, December 2016.
- “New Lawyers Find Strong Job Market,” Pittsburgh Business Times, February 17, 2015.
- “Markman Case Makes Mark,” Pittsburgh Business Times, November 13, 2015.
- “Law Firms Have Reined in Partner Board Memberships,” The Legal Intelligencer,
August 10, 2015.
- “Pittsburgh Legal Market Shedding Partners, Wrestling With Change,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 18, 2015.
- “Big firms, big growth,” Pittsburgh Business Times, January 18, 2013.
- “Large area firms look outside area for experienced lawyers,” Pittsburgh Business Times, January 23, 2012.
- “A Delicate Balance,” Pittsburgh Business Times, January 23, 2012.
- Appeared on WPXI-TV’s Our Regions’ Business, August 14, 2011.
- “Law Firms Predict More Layoffs Among Non-Equity Partners, Support Staff,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 23, 2010.
- “Pittsburgh Law Firms Feel Price Pressure From All Sides,” Pittsburgh Business Times and Houston Business Journal, June 11, 2010.
- “Lateral moves on the rise for established Pittsburgh lawyers,” Pittsburgh Business Times, May 28, 2010.
- “Do you allow employees to do fundraising in the office?” Pittsburgh Business Times, February 12, 2010.
- “Pittsburgh-area law firms tweak fees for 2010,” Pittsburgh Business Times, December 11, 2009.
- “Recession? What Recession?” The Legal Intelligencer, September 25, 2009.
- “For One Law Firm, Canceled Summer Associate Program Is Old News,” ABA Journal, August 21, 2009.
- “Protecting What is Yours,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2017.
- “Alternative Billing Arrangements,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education, August 2010.
- “Global Aspects of IP Damages: I’m Here and the Infringer Is Over There!” panelist, ALI-ABA, September 2009.
- “In RE Seagate Technology, LLC,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 2007.
- “Intellectual Property Law Primer: Trade Secrets,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 2006.
- “Licensing Trademarks,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 2005.
District of Columbia
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., cum laude, Duquesne University School of Law, 1984
B.S., with highest honors, Saint Vincent College, 1981