Stephenie G. Anderson Scialabba
Chair, Associates Committee
Stephenie G. Anderson Scialabba focuses her practice on global and domestic cybersecurity & data privacy matters. She regularly advises clients in the health, hospitality, gaming and tech industries as to their legal obligations — proactive and reactive — in the evolving compliance landscape.
Stephenie has represented clients in numerous facets of domestic and multi-national data breach response, including breach notification and investigations from the Office of Civil Rights, state Attorneys General, and other governmental regulators. Her practice also consists of working with clients to develop privacy practices and policies that are appropriate for their business models. She is familiar with the European Union’s General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR), Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Payment Card Industry – Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS), and various other privacy and security laws.
Stephenie has also represented health systems, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, physicians and other healthcare providers in various issues including false claims, consent, charitable solicitations, accessibility, medical staff matters and fraudulent transfers. She is experienced in mergers, acquisitions, affiliations and other strategic transactions, as well as a multitude of healthcare-specific regulatory and compliance matters. She has worked with The Joint Commission and state agencies, and has advised clients on HIPAA issues, fraud & abuse and False Claims Act investigations, Stark law and the Anti-Kickback statute, EMTALA, managed care, and telehealth.
Through her prior experience as a litigator, Stephenie became versed in negotiations, mediations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. She regularly served as first and second chair for cases litigated in both state and federal court, and has successfully represented clients in front of the National Labor Relations Board and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Stephenie previously served as Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable John L. Musmanno of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member of the Young Lawyers Division
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, New Leadership Council
- Pittsburgh Opera, New Guard
- University of Pittsburgh Conflict of Interest Committee
Awards and Recognition:
- Pittsburgh Business Times “30 under 30” Winner
- Selected as Mentor for Pittsburgh Business Times Mentoring Monday
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law Certificate of Merit for Highest Grade in Health Care Business Transactions & Legal Writing for Results
News and Insights
- “Cybersecurity and Privacy: What Companies Need to Know for 2022,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert, December 2021.
- “What You Need to Know About the New Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act,” TDWI, May 7, 2021.
- “Virginia data privacy law presents new challenges for security practitioners,” Security InfoWatch.com, March 25, 2021.
- “Virginia Imposes New Data Protection Requirements on Businesses: Lessons Learned,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert, March 8, 2021.
- “California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 to Appear on November Ballot: Introduces Significant Amendments to CCPA,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert, October 28, 2020.
- “Final Set of CCPA Regulations Approved,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert October 2020.
- “California AG Modifies Proposed CCPA Regulations,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert March 2020.
- “Updated Joint Guidance on the Application of FERPA and HIPAA to Student Health Records,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert, February 2020.
- “California AG Issues Proposed CCPA Regulations, Establishes Comment Period,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Update October 2019.
- “Aspects to Be Aware of When Making Representations and Warranties in Health Care Transactions,” AHLA’s Business Law & Governance.
- “What GCs Need To Know About Va.’s New DataPrivacy Law,” Law360 Pulse, March 16, 2021.
- “The GDPR in Higher Education,” webinar presentation with the National Cyber Forensics & Training Alliance to colleges and universities across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, December 2021.
- “SUMMER SCHOOL: What Pennsylvania School Districts Need to Know About ESSER Relief Funds – Lesson 2: Data Security & Privacy,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, July 26, 2021. (recording)