Shannon A. Kapadia
Shannon Kapadia concentrates her practice on complex commercial litigation, with a strong emphasis on labor and employment matters. Shannon also handles matters relating to data privacy & security, intellectual property, and landlord-tenant issues.
Shannon counsels both public and private sector employers in management-side labor and employment issues such as hiring, termination, and employee discipline. Shannon also represents employers concerning employment-related litigation and compliance with workplace safety and health (OSHA) standards and requirements. Additionally, Shannon represents building owners in commercial landlord-tenant disputes and handles various other commercial litigation matters.
In 2021, Shannon became a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals and has experience advising entities with responses to data breaches.
Before joining Eckert Seamans, Shannon was a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Judges of Henrico County Circuit Court. She performed extensive research, briefed, formulated, and discussed issues presented to the Court with the judges.
In law school, Shannon served as an Articles and Comments Editor of the University of Richmond Law Review and was a member of the Trial Advocacy Board. Additionally, Shannon was a recipient of the CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Trademark & Unfair Competition Law, Legislation & Regulation, and Agency & Partnership, and served as a student attorney in the Intellectual Property Clinic, where she assisted small businesses and start-ups in their trademark and copyright registrations.
- Richmond Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee
- Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyer’s Division (Pro Bono Commission Co-Chair)
- YWCA Richmond Young Women’s Leadership Alliance (YWLA) – Board Member
- Aga Khan Education Board for the Northeastern United States – Honorary Secretary
Awards and Recognition:
- ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Intellectual Property Law Concentration with Distinction, 2018
- Pro Bono Award, 2018
News and Insights
- “New Laws Affecting the Litigation Landscape in Virginia,” Eckert Seamans Legal Update, June 2021.
- “Virginia Imposes New Data Protection Requirements on Businesses: Lessons Learned,” Eckert Seamans’ Data Security & Privacy Alert, March 8, 2021.
- “COVID-19 LEGAL UPDATE: Virginia Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order No. 72,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, December 11, 2020.
- “New Virginia Laws Seek to Convert Independent Contractors to Employees,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, May 18, 2020.
- “The New Pitfalls Of Employment Misclassification for Virginia Employers,” co-author, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Employment Law, August 2020.
- “An Eckert Seamans Tribute to Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” panelist, October 20, 2020.
- “Virginia’s Emergency Temporary Standard Infectious Disease Prevention: SARS-COV-2 Virus That Causes COVID-19,” co-presenter, Eckerts Seamans’ webinar presentation, August 2020.