Shani R. Else
Shani Else concentrates her corporate transactional, licensing, and marketing law practice, on the retail and hospitality industries. Shani handles negotiation and drafting of various corporate agreements including hotel management agreements, financing documents, licensing, royalty and marketing agreements, technical service agreements, and consulting services agreements. Shani further advises her clients on compliance matters related to business and alcohol regulations. In the area of licensing, Shani has experience representing hotels, hotel management companies, and multi-national retailers with respect to federal, state, and local licensing and permit matters, including alcohol and business licensing, throughout the United States.
In addition, Shani reviews and drafts official rules for sweepstakes and contests and reviews promotions for compliance with federal and state regulations.
Shani also has previous experience as lead counsel litigating family law and divorce disputes at the Virginia trial court level, negotiating marital settlement agreements, and analyzing and advising clients on the distribution of multi-million dollar assets and business interests upon divorce.
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia, Immediate Past President
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- The Asian and Asian Pacific American Alumni Network, University of Virginia, Secretary
- Asian American Homeownership Counseling, Board Member
- Provides pro bono legal representation through the Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia/Washington DC Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, 2015 -2017
Selected for inclusion in Washington DC Super Lawyers – Rising Stars 2019
News and Insights
- “Quiet Room® Guide advises on standards to calculate and recognize noise levels for hotels,” Eckert Seamans Construction Law Update, Spring 2017.
- “Courts Must Welcome the Reality of the Modern World: Cyberspace Is a Place Under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act,” 65 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 1121 (2008).
- “A Few Good Lawyers – Can You Handle the Truth (About Ethics)?” Co-Author, VA CLE, 31st Annual Family Law Seminar, 2012.
- “Annual Case Law Update,” Co-Author, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Annual Family Law Seminar, 2011.
- Panelist, APABA-DC Practicing Attorneys Resource Committee, Mentorship Kickoff Event, October, 2016.
District of Columbia
J.D., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2009, Lead Articles Editor, Law Review
B.S., University of Virginia, 2004