Sara Davis Buss
Sara Davis Buss has more than 35 years of experience practicing in public finance law. Throughout the years, she has closed numerous transactions for municipalities, counties, state agencies, redevelopment and other public authorities, school districts, hospitals, health care facilities, utilities, and educational, social service, and cultural institutions. In representing such diverse clients, Sara has served as bond counsel, lender’s counsel, note counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, issuer’s counsel, bank counsel, and financial advisor’s counsel. In just the past eight years, she closed more than 165 transactions that have ranged from $500,000 to more than $1.67 billion.
- Serves as bond counsel to one of the country’s largest non-profit integrated healthcare delivery systems in connection with new issuances, refundings, affiliations and all other debt related matters.
- Created numerous tax increment financing and neighborhood improvement districts throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, working with local taxing authorities, redevelopment agencies and private developers to finance public infrastructure needed to jump start economic development.
- Experience as bond counsel to large and small sewer and water authorities, public parking and airport authorities and urban and rural redevelopment authorities.
- Works with lenders and borrowers on various complex financing opportunities, including tax exempt and taxable loans for nonprofit and for profit entities.
- Served as bond counsel or underwriters’ counsel on public offerings and private placements of debt for higher educational institutions, continuing care retirement communities, cultural institutions and social services agencies.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Board of Directors, Member (2019 – 2022)
- 2014 Bond Attorneys Workshop, Chair
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers (Past President)
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Regional Industrial Development Corporation, Vice Chair, Board of Directors
- Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, Former Chair of Board of Directors
- St. Clair Memorial Hospital, Former Board Member
- Mt. Lebanon Economic Development Council, Former Board Member
- Neighborhood Legal Services Corp., Former Board Member
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation, Former Board Member
- Homewood Children’s Village, Former Board Member
- YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh, Former Board Member
- Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, Former Board Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Leadership in Non-Profit Governance Award Recipient from National Association of Corporate Directors, Three Rivers Chapter, 2017
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-2006, 2009
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2011
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2014 Public Finance “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected for inclusion as one of the top women attorneys in her field by Pennsylvania Law Weekly, March 2009
- Selected for inclusion as one of the 25 Top Women Leaders in Business by the Pittsburgh Business Times, 2009
- Art of Justice Award Recipient from Women & Girls Foundation of Western Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 1982
B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1976