Paul D. Steinman
Paul Steinman litigates commercial disputes and provides counsel to business entities, including Fortune 500 companies. He has successfully tried cases in federal and state courts and in arbitration proceedings throughout the country involving such varied issues as CERCLA contribution claims, piercing the corporate veil, breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, challenges to corporate management, and non-competes. Paul regularly assists clients in formulating strategies to resolve disputes in advance of litigation.
Prior to joining Eckert Seamans in 1998, Paul gained experience both as corporate counsel for a Fortune 500 company and in private practice. While serving as in-house counsel, Paul managed significant commercial and products liability litigation.
- Obtained a $14.5 million jury award for a client in a complex breach of contract case.
- Led a defense team that obtained summary judgment against 1,500 consolidated cases in which plaintiffs brought suit under West Virginia’s “deliberate intent” statute, claiming a wide variety of serious injuries from various chemical exposures.
- Won summary judgment against veil piercing and direct operator liability claims in Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) case. Successfully argued appeal before Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended against injunction which sought to enforce restrictive covenants against four employees and “no hire” provision against new employer. Successfully argued appeal before Pennsylvania Superior Court.
- Defended and resolved injunction involving allegations of trademark infringement.
- Currently defending Fortune 500 companies in CERCLA contribution claims and environmental citizen suits.
- Argued spoliation of evidence motion which resulted in exclusion of almost all evidence in case in which $20 million claimed due to allegedly defective coatings; corporate plaintiff dismissed case with prejudice on the eve of trial.
- Resolved numerous large material supply disputes following the 2008 financial collapse.
- Successfully defended a challenge against a nonprofit corporation’s bylaws.
- Procured a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a purchaser defrauded as to the value of industrial assets.
- Defended against shareholder derivative suits and dissenting shareholder actions.
- Counsels clients in the enforcement of rights in contractual relationships including trademark licensing agreements.
- Provides counsel to Fortune 500 Company regarding its indemnity rights and obligations arising out of acquisition transactions and litigates disputes as necessary.
- Extensive experience in presenting and impeaching expert testimony.
- Routinely handles cases involving sophisticated economic valuation issues and damages claims.
Awards and Recognition:
- Commercial Litigation Practice Group Ranked by Chambers, 2015
- Maintains an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Best Practices for Avoiding Spoliation” , Law360, June 2015.
- “SIGNIFICANT DECISION REGARDING PIERCING THE CORPORATE VEIL” , Eckert Seamans' Litigation Alert, September 2018.
Charleston, West Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1987
B.A., Haverford College, 1984